【 ✷ 44: 𝙇𝙞𝙩𝙩𝙡𝙚 𝘽𝙚𝙖𝙣𝙨

°•. ✿ .•°
📌MEMPHIS
July of 1968
MISTAKES PRESENT
✿°。 ✿°
.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°

COLETTE CAMPBELL WAS an absolute nervous wreck.

From that morning to the ride to the OBGYN's office, to them sitting in the waiting room — she was nervous as hell.

"Hey baby, relax." he whispered softly, placing a hand on her knee that was bouncing nervously.

"What if...What if there's somethin' wrong with it?"

"First of all, don't call our baby an it." he says, chuckling a bit. "And why would there be somethin' wrong?"

"With my luck, there will be." she said in defeat, eyes staring at the ground as she bit at her nails.

"Stop doin' that." he demands, grabbing her hand to keep the nail out of her mouth. "Nasty habit."

"I'm nervous!" she defensively exclaimed, distress clear in her voice.

Elvis wrapped an arm around her shoulders and let her head fall to his chest, his opposite hand lightly stroking the top of her head. "Our baby is healthy and happy in there, i'm tellin' ya."

"Ms. Campbell?"

Their eyes darted up at the voice to find a nurse standing there with a bright smile.

Colette gave Elvis a weary look before they both got up from their seats, her holding his hand tightly.

"I'm Nurse Rochester, I will be doing your ultrasound today." she explained. "Come on in."

Once in the room, the nurse closes the door behind them and gestured towards the examination chair.

"Go ahead and take a seat — I'm just gonna look at your records and ask a few questions." she warmly says.

Elvis helped a distressed Colette onto the table before standing beside her holding both of her shaking hands.

"It's gonna be okay." he mouthed out reassuringly.

Of course, Elvis himself is nervous as well — the couple combined have terrible terrible anxiety in general.

The last time they had a child, he ended up being stillborn which he supposes came from the genes on his side of the family. Going through this process all over again is fucking terrifying — the fear of the unknown.

But he knows that it's ten times worse for Colette which is why he isn't letting his fear be presently known, knowing that it might just freak her out more.

The nurse began to speak as she read through the file upon the chunky computer screen. "So, you're twenty-eight years old, your birthday is coming up soon too — happy birthday, Ms. Campbell."

"God, I'm getting old." she mutters, a small laugh escaping from her lips as she covered her face. "Thank you."

"Try being thirty-three." Elvis remarked.

Rochester's face fell ever so slightly but she quickly covered it up. "It says here that you had a previous pregnancy back in 1958 which resulted in a stillbirth?"