Chapter 3 Truth Gummy

At sword practice Jay called out "All right, boys. Let's line it up. Carlos, you're with me. Let's go."

Carlos smiled "Yeah."

Jay yelled each instruction "Assembler. Salute. Lower the point. Masks down. En garde. Keep your center!"

"Whoa!" Carlos said as him and Jay fought. Jay ended up winning.

Jay advised "Eyes on your opponent! Up and over."

Suddenly someone ran into the room in the sword fighting kit. They grabbed a sword and stood in front of Jay. Challenging him.

"Get him, Jay!" Carlos yelled.

Jay smiled "Practice."

Carlos gasped "Watch out, Jay." The challenger snuck up from behind.
Jay managed to block the attach.
Chad commented "Nice!"

Carlos asked "Jay, what happened?"

"Finish him." Chad yelled as Jay managed to pin the Challenger.
They pulled there mask off.

"It's Lonnie!" Jane said to Charlotte.

Jay smiled "Not bad."

Lonnie smirked "You should put me on the team."

Chad burst in "Hey, w-what?! No, no, no. We'll-- We'll be the laughing stock of the league. A-And what's gonna happen next? We'll have girls playing tourney? Come on, guys."

Jay asked "So?"

"So? Uh, so, have you not read the rule book?" He pulled the rule book out of his pocket "Section 2, paragraph 3, 11-4. "A team will be comprised of a captain and eight men." Hmm? Why don't you read the rule book?"

"Okay, yeah, but you're down a man! I mean, since Ben had to leave to do all that king stuff." Lonnie said.

"Exactly." Chad explained "We're down a man."

"Chad stop being annoying or I'll tell Mom and Dad!" Charlotte yelled from the balcony.

Lonnie looked pleadingly at Jay "Jay..."

Jay rubbed the back of his neck "I'm sorry. Coach trusts me. I'm not gonna stay captain if I just throw out the rule book."

Lonnie glared at him "If my mother thought that way, she would have lost the war."

Chad scoffed "Okay." he waved the book in her face "Rule book. Rule book."

"Chad!" Charlotte yelled.

"Alright Lottie" Chad said raising his arms in defence.

Jay sighed "All right, guys. Practice is over. Let's go."

Charlotte and Jane were about to leave when Carlos called up to her "Charlotte. Charlotte, hey. Hey."

Charlotte turned to Jane "I'll be there in a minute. Hey, Carlos, what's up?"

"Uh... Not much.You?" He asked.

Charlotte sighed "Way too much. We were gonna go with the blue and gold banners for Cotillion, but now we can't find the right shade of blue."

Carlos nodded his head understandingly "Oh, yeah, no, that's a-- that's a bummer. Um, speaking of Cotillion-"

"I know, right? It's all anybody is talking about. Cotillion 24/7." Charlotte complained.

Carlos was gonna say something but Charlotte still interrupted him "I--"

"It's like they've never been to one before." Charlotte said.

"Uh...I haven't, actually." Carlos reminded her.

"Oh. Lucky. I always end up serving punch with Jane or Fairy Godmother. This year, I got stuck commanding the entire planning and decorating committee because Audrey went off to a spa vacation with Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather."

Carlos suggested "Charlotte, maybe we should just--"

"Skip the whole thing?" Charlotte asked "I really, really wish I could. It's so nice to have a friend who's on the same wavelength."

Carlos sighed "Oh, you got me."

"I got to go." Charlotte said "Great practice, though."

"Yeah." Carlos replied halfheartedly.

Charlotte waved to him "See ya" he to hone began to ring so she picked it up "Hello Fairy Godmother"

Carlos sighed "It wasn't the right time, all right?"

When he got to his dorm he went straight into his computer.
"How to get out of the friend zone."

Carlos looked at Dude "I see you reading over my shoulder."

Suddenly Mal burst into his room.
"Whoa. Easy, girl." Carlos said quickly.

"What? You think this is so easy?! You don't have people taking a photo of you every single time you open your mouth to say boo! I mean, it's not that I could even say, "Boo," but, you know what I--" Mal rambled.

"I'm sorry." Carlos apologised.

"Carlos, don't you ever miss screaming at people and just making them run away from you?" Mal asked.

Carlos sighed "You're thinking of my mother, and I was usually on the other end of that. So, not really. No."

They paused "Oh, hey!" He said "Did you bring it?"

The door suddenly opened and Chad snuck in smirking. He noticed Carlos and Mal. "Hi. Just came to use your 3D printer. Won't be a sec."

Carlos looked confused "How'd you get a key to my room?"

Chad laughed "Oh, I printed it off last time I was in here. Uh... you guys were sleeping. Look, I just-- Your printer's so much better than mine, and you install these hacks and everything runs so much smoother than mine and--"

Carlos pointed at the door "Out! Now. Or I will tell Charlotte"

"Fine. Fine." Chad said.

"Chad!" Carlos called.

Chad smiled "What? Hmm?"

"Leave the key." Chad placed it down and left the room.

"Mal?" Carlos asked.

Mal hummed "Hmm?"

"My potion?" Carlos reminded her.

"Hmm. Yeah. Um..." she pulled a small box out.

Carlos checked "So, this thing will make me say what I really feel to Charlotte?"

"Yeah." Mal said "I mean, this is a truth gummy, so take it or leave it."

Carlos smiled "Perfect."

Mal stopped "Hold on, though. Are you sure that you want to be taking this? Because this is gonna make you say the truth all the time, no matter what, and the only reason that I'm asking is because I know that if I took this right now, I would get myself sent back to the Isle. Which, it's not that that sounds super unappealing, but, you know..."

Carlos smiled "Yeah. I'll take my chances, I guess."

Mal sighed "Okay." she was about to give it to him when Dude ate it "Ohh! Bad dog!"

Dude coughed "Man, that thing was nasty!"
Mal and Carlos looked at the dog and then at each other "And you-- you just got to man up. And while you're at it, scratch my butt."

Mal looked forward "You heard him. Scratch his butt." she walked out of the room.

Carlos asked "Mal. You're just gonna leave me with him?"

Dude looked at him "Come on. You scratch your own all the time."