Chapter 32

Carter POV

So, I'd never tell Mom or Noel this, but expulsion is great. It's been a few days, and I have so much time on my hands. I do miss school though, I loved it even though they pissed me off a lot. I miss watching Noel teach the most. But I've been boxing more and more, and I've gotten better.

My father gets out today. I don't know what to do. Is he going to come and find me, go to my grandparents house, or what? We haven't moved since he left, and he knows where we live, so I went home with Mom. Luke was here too, he was also worried. I called Noel as soon as she got from school. Winter holidays start today.

"Have you heard anything?" She asked when she picked up.

"No, my grandparents haven't called to say he's came over, and he hasn't come over here. How was your day?"

"It was good actually. Still a lot of talk going around about you. You'd think it would have died down by now."

"Yeah, I-" There was a knock at the door, and Luke, Mom, and I just looked at each other.

"Babe, I'll call you back. Someone knocked on the door."

"Be careful Car. I love you."

"I love you too." I hung up.

"I'll answer it. Mom you stay here, Luke come on." There was another knock. We went to the door, and opened it.

There was a man, there was no mistaken he was my father. He had the greenish hazel eyes, pale skin, black messy hair, he was tall, and he looked nervous right now.

"Luke is that you? A-and you're... you're Carter." He looked at me in awe.

"Yeah. We know who you are too, what do you want?"

"I wanted to apologize to you guys, and your mother.., especially her. I know you're not going to let me anywhere near her. I know this apology isn't going to take away what I did, and I know you aren't going to want me in your life Carter, but I regret hurting your mother and not being able to be here as your father. I wasn't always a bad person, I hated myself when I was in that cell, and I still do. I wish I could take it all back, but I know I can't....I'm really sorry." I didn't believe a word he said honestly, and he sounded sincere, but it doesn't matter. All of a sudden, Mom was beside us.

"Mom, go back inside." I told her.

"Carter, I can watch over myself. I'm here to accept his apology. I heard it all Carson, and I forgive you, but I think you owe us all an explanation." She named me after him? What the fuck! Luke looked at me and shook his head. He knew I was about to say something.

"That night I hurt you and one other woman.. I have a few mental illnesses: bipolar and depression disorder, some anger issues. They're severe, and I'm not supposed to drink. Well that night, I did drink and I didn't take my medicine. My mind was all over the place and I heard voices in my head. I found out later that I was having a maniac episode. I couldn't control it, and plus I had alcohol in my system. The episodes completely change you, they make you do things on impulse. Then, it happened. I've been in counseling, and once they found out about my illness, they told me I could get out early. But I didn't think I deserved to get out. I take my medicines everyday now, and I regret it all. I'll never forget to take another pill, I'm too scared that something like that will happen again." I understand him... but I don't want to just give in that quick. I know he couldn't control it, and there's been times that I can't control my anger, but I haven't hurt anyone. But his is way more severe than mine..

"Carson, this is your daughter Carter though I'm sure you know that already." I looked at him with a blank face and he looked at me guiltily.

"I understand why you wouldn't forgive me Carter. You probably hate me, you probably hate that I'm your father. I'm so sorry about that. At the prison, they have local television on, and I've seen you play basketball. I knew immediately it was you, and I was so proud. I just wish I was here to help raise you, so I could brag and say, "That's my daughter." But I don't even deserve to call you my daughter. I haven't been here for you, and I forced you to be my child." I sighed.