Chapter 31

Noel POV

It's been three weeks, and Carter's Dad is getting out soon; she's so nervous. Alex had moved out of the house into an apartment, so it was mostly just me and Carter. Then Megan moved in. Her and Kale hit it off.

Carter met her grandparents, and she said they're really nice. She said that they apologized about her father, and that he was a good kid at first. She said she saw pictures of him, and she has his eyes and paleness. She hates that so much. It turns out that her grandparents are filthy rich, even more than my family, and they've offered to buy them a new house and everything. Ms. Coleman declined, but they insisted on some type of payment since they never got child support.

Carter and I are great, though she still hates school. Basketball season has started, and I've been to every single game, and they've won all of them. Carter's a great captain, she doesn't ball hog, and she lets the whole team play in each game. Her grandparents come and watch her, and although I haven't met them as her girlfriend, I do like them too. I hate that I can't meet them as her girlfriend, and only as her teacher.

Last night she had a game, and we were going to celebrate at her house, but her grandparents wanted to come, and it would be sorta weird that her teacher was there. So, I couldn't go, but Megan was there so I wasn't alone. Carter saved us some pizza and came over, like the wonderful girlfriend she is. She was like,"I know you really wanted to come and hang out with us, so I came over. I'm sorry you couldn't come to the house."

Today's Friday, and I walked into my classroom and Mark followed behind me.

"Good morning Noel. Where's your girl?" I smiled at him and sat at my desk.

"With her friends. You know when they have a good game like last night she can't get away." She's started to hang out with the team and the others, so it's a bit harder for her to have time for everyone. The only time we have together is when she comes over at night. She's been busier than ever, and now since her Dad's getting out, she goes to boxing after basketball practice, then visits her grandparents, me, or goes home.

"She's been so busy lately. I don't know how she does all of this."

"Me neither. She's been so tired, and I don't know what to do to help. I only see her in class, in the hallways, at games, or at night. She comes by at lunch, gives me the lunch, then leaves. I don't blame her, I mean I know she has a lot of friends, but I just feel like I barely talk to her anymore. When she gets home, she's always tired, cranky, and in a bad mood." I know I told her not to ditch her friends for me, but not seeing her as much is hard.

"Have you told her?"

"No, it'll just put more stress on her. I'll be fine, she'll be out of here in a few months, and I'll have her to myself. I just really see the withdrawals of being her teacher now. If I was a student, I could be with her right now." He looked at me sadly.

"There's nothing you can do to change that Noel." I shrugged.

"I know. I just wonder if she feels like I do. Like we don't see each other enough, or if it's just me being clingy."

"I'm sure it's not just you Noel. You just need to talk to her."

"When? There's not enough time for that." He sighed and nodded.

"That's true. And honestly I don't think you guys should tell her grandparents about you. It would help with time, but I just don't think they'd accept it like everyone else did. They seem uptight, and they hate their son, but I see why. They feel sorry for Carter and her mom. I mean, don't get me wrong, they're good for her, because Ms. Coleman's parents don't live in California, and she needs that."