Chapter 3

I'm at practice. We've just finished running and footwork, for conditioning since the season hasn't started. Three hours. I'm so worn out. Coach said after we change, we have to go back into the gym.

"Okay, you all know why we're in here. The captain and co-captain of this team will have to be leaders. Ones who take charge in dire situations. Of course they have to know about good plays and good strategies. Oh dammit, Coleman get your ass up here." Everyone laughed and I got up and went up there.

"Now, I don't care if anyone has a problem with it. This is my choice. You'll listen to her, she's calling the shots. If you feel less like a man or belittled because a girl is leading you, you can get your ass up and leave now. She's damn well better than any of you and you know it." They all clapped and cheered.

"Now, co-captain. Johnson come on, come on." Marcus Johnson, he's actually the only senior on the team who didn't bully me in middle school. Some of his friends did, he even stood up for me once. He's pretty cool.

"Now, Marcus is a leader also. He's got heart and willpower. You might be a little surprised I've chosen him, but get over it. Carter and Marcus, you two will be working together. Any objections from anyone?"

"No coach." We all said.

"All right. Carter, you know what to do." I nodded.

"Bring it in guys. Warhawks on three. 1, 2, 3."

"WARHAWKS!" I ran over to Amy on the bleachers.

"Congratulations captain." She said.

"Thanks, I'm glad it's Marcus who's co-captain." I turned around to put my stuff in my bag and she jumped on my back.

"I am too."

"You know I could've fell? You've seen how much I've just ran."

"You're too strong, I'm not that heavy. Look at these biceps, eww you're sweaty." She said. She tried to squeeze my arm but it just kinda slipped in her fingers.

"Yeah, is that sweat on my back or..?" She gasped and hit me repeatedly, but never got off.

"Ow! Stop! You hit too hard. Hang on I'm about to start walking to the car." She wrapped her arms around my neck tightly.

"Stop trying to insinuate that I like you, or any girl for that matter. I'm obviously straight." I scoffed.

"Yeah and I have a penis."

"You know, that'd actually make a lot of sense. That'd be why Ms. Stewart thought you were a boy." I rolled my eyes.

"It's because I obviously look like one, not because I have a fucking penis."

"You know, you're acting weird.. You don't seem too excited about getting captain... Something's on your mind." Maybe.

"No, I am, it just hasn't sunken in yet." She couldn't see my face and she just shrugged, okay with that answer. I got to the car and put her down.

"Mom's not home now, you can go ahead and drop me off." I nodded. We got in and I drove out of the parking lot.

"You know, Amy... I-..." I sighed and shook my head. She looked at me curiously.

"Go ahead."

"Don't get mad at me. Promise me you won't." She raised her eyebrows.

"Okay, I promise."I let out a breath.

"Tell me the truth. No lying, we're best fucking friends and we have been forever. I won't say anything. A-and I'll tell you one of my secrets I've never told if you tell the truth.... Do you really like Kale? Or is it a cover up? Come on Amy, you don't want your Mom to know, but I won't judge. I can't judge you. I mean who am I to judge?" She looked down then out of the window. She started mumbling and I had to lean a bit to hear.