31.

July 24th

July 24th

"Good morning!" I told everyone, seeing them crowded by the door to avoid that early morning heat.

Pressing my pin into the keypad, I unlocked the fort door before using my key for the second, cutting on that first light stitch before seeing someone digging in my bag, not my purse.

"What you bring for us Bri Bri?" Sam asked, right on my heels trying to peer inside, even though the bag had those patterned holes on the sides.

"I brought some cereal for myself." I told him, swatting him away before sitting my stuff down, preparing to start up the printer and steal a pen from the front.

"What? You're joking. There's got to be some goodies in there." He said dramatically, as if I'd put a curse over his head.

"Oh no, I'm poor. Like extremely poor." I told him while pulling out the binder I'd developed for Mir.

"What do you mean?" Yamir asked quickly, looking at me intently.

"I quite literally spent all my pennies in Rio and Jamaica." I told them truthfully, making my way to the back to have a refresher.

So I never actually checked my account at all when I was on vacation. I simply paid my bills, added to my savings and kept going, obviously not spending every dime but not keeping me from spending every dollar cautiously until my next pay check.

"What you buy?" Keith added, seemingly extremely surprised by that.

"I quite literally bought pounds and pounds of hair, lashes, all that stuff." I told them, not regretting that decision because it was worth it, but knowing it may not have been the best investment for what it cost.

"Why?" Yamir questioned, knowing none of those things were my favorites or anything I necessarily considered essential.

"What do you mean why? Because I wanted to." I said, going to cut the printer on.

"You don't even need all that shit." He responded after me.

"Well I will gladly take cash apps to send to them to go get us all Hardee's." I called out from the front desk, printing a few things and replacing the ink cartilage as well.

I'm not that cruel, not to mention, you know how secretaries are about their paper and ink and not wanting anything to be touched.

"Yeah let's do that." I heard Sam say eagerly. "That's gon be like $40."

"I don't feel like going anywhere." Keith told him groggily, instantly souring the mood.

"Cinnamon Toast Crunch it is." I told them as I came back out, tossing them the box on the way back to my rolling cart.

"How is your little brother doing?" Sam asked, pouring himself a bowl in the tiny plastic white one.

"I had to ship him back home." I pouted, still sad about the whole ordeal.