𝘗𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘢𝘭

"Pop, let me know if I'm hurting you." Ariella tells him softly as she places a bandage to the wound on Heyward's forehead.

"You're doing just fine." He says with with groan. Limbrey's hunch man came after Pope's father, beating him just enough to cause anger in all the Pogues, especially his son.

She didn't understand how he could hurt such a kind hearted and lovable man like Heyward. He was on of the most respected humans in the OuterBanks and it made her already queasy stomach hurt even more. She was disgusted by Limbrey's actions.

"Okay, Pops." Ariella smiles at him softly as she steps away from the man and goes in between Pope and JJ. She intertwines her fingers with Pope's and links her other arm with JJ's. Pope gives her a thankful look.

"Thank you, sweetheart." Heyward gives her a grateful smile.

"Of course." Ariella waves him off.

Pope gives Ariella's hand a squeeze before he walks closer to his father, letting her hand go. "Pop, what happened?"

"Oh, I should've known better." Heyward sighs. "He came in just as I was about to lock up."

JJ takes the momentary silence as a chance to bring his girl into his chest, his hand going around her, resting on her stomach, bringing Ari comfort as she eyes John B and Sarah who avoid each others eyes. She could tell and feel that there was something wrong with the two of them.

"Caught me by surprise." Heyward continues. "Once he had me down, he put his knee in my chest, and he asked me about that...that...that key from that—that drawing you showed me. And in case you're wondering, I ain't tell him nothing."

"Always protecting us, Poppa H." Ariella smiles at him, earning a wink from Heyward.

Heyward turns his attention to his son. "Now, did you track it down?"

Pope takes a breath as he looks to JJ and Ari, the couple giving him an encouraging nod. He digs in his pocket and takes out the old key, a red string attached to it. "I found it in Mee-maw's old apartment above the pharmacy just like you said."

"Shit, boy." Heyward looks the key over. "You should've gave this to me. I wouldn't have had to take a beating. Now, what's the big deal? It ain't worth nothing. Why they want it so bad?"

"I don't know." Pope shrugs. "First I get this letter telling me that I need to go to Charleston. And then Ari and I meet a rich lady who wants us to give her a key, that I didn't even know was in my family."

"None of it makes sense." Kiara comments.

"Maybe not to us." Ariella mutters.

"Well, don't y'all just sit here whining about it." Heyward looks at them all. "Figure it out!"

"No." Pope immediately denies. "I'm just gonna give they key to that lady. It's not worth—."

"No, no, no." Heyward interrupts his son. "Did I raise you to back down from a fight, boy?"

Ariella looks down at her feet, not being able to watch the father and son moment. It hurt to watch honestly. Her father was nothing to her and her second father died. Yeah, she has Noah, but now she felt like she was nothing, but a burden to him and her Aunt.

Ari looks up when she felt a hand on her arm, she turns her head and looks at John B who gives her a comforting smile. He was letting her know that she wasn't alone. JJ also, runs soothing circles on the top of her stomach.

"No, sir."

"Well, all right. Now, I-I didn't think about it before. I admit that. But now..." He points to his bandage. "Now? I'm interested. Well, did they say why they wanted it?"