Chapter 40 Slip up

I gazed at the forest around me, the fading sunlight showing the way. Nothing seemed off, the familiar shift of a horse below me was almost welcoming. It reminded me of all those nights Alec and I would sneak off on Xanthus to the lake. We would be laughing and smiling, kissing and talking, getting to know each other better in more than one way.

It almost seemed like that is what I was doing as I felt someone's strong arms around my waist, their body pressed against my own in the saddle. My feet weren't in the stirrups like they usually would be. Alec would be the one lazing around, his head on my own or resting on my shoulder or back while I helped point Xanthus in the right direction.

That was odd. When I looked down the horse I was sitting upon wasn't Xanthus. Its coat was pitch black, a solid colour, he moved calmly beneath us. 

The man behind me held onto the reins loosely and his head rested on my shoulder. I looked at him out of the corner of my eye and my heart melted.

His grey-blue eyes were calm and he looked tired, his raven-black hair parted like usual, it looked so soft that I had to resist the temptation to touch it. 

I looked away from him and back to the path ahead which we were steadily trotting towards. 

"Where are we going?" I ask, my voice soft. Despite slightly freaking out as I realised the only weapon I had on me was my dagger in my boot.

"It's a surprise." He murmured, "I told you."

I pouted my lips, "Can't you tell me?"

"No." 

"Please?" I ask my head turning as I planted a sweet kiss on his cheek. The action surprised me but I soon relaxed at the soft look he gave me. 

"Kisses aren't going to get you anywhere." He said a smile littering his lips as I looked at him in annoyance. 

I turned my head back to look ahead of us, a chuckle escaped his lips as he kissed me on the cheek. My face heated up at the action. It was so small yet...

"Making faces isn't going to help you." 

"It should." I pointed out. 

He hummed a response. I instinctively placed my hands over his which were over the reins. My small hands curved over his bigger ones. My thumbs rubbed along the back of his hands in a comforting manner that he relaxed into. 

We sat like that, his head resting on my shoulder, his body pressed against my back, his arms around my waist while I rubbed warmth into his hands. Our bodies shift together in the saddle.

"We're here." He whispered into my ear as his horse pulled to a stop.

I looked at the view in disbelief. We stood on a hill, the moon had well risen. A tree perched on the hill leaves shifting slightly in the breeze. That wasn't what caught my attention. A lake sat below us, the water glistened in the moonlight giving the lake a mirror effect as it reflected the night sky. Stars shimmered upon its surface.

He didn't say anything as he dismounted, he helped me down. I couldn't get over the view. The lake and him.

As soon as I stepped on the ground he pulled me close, looking deep into my eyes that glistened like the water's surface. A smile pulled his lips upwards as he looked at me. I found a smile adorning my face as I began to move my hands to wrap around his waist, losing myself in his gaze.

His horse gave a slight shake causing us to snap out of our trance. I drew my hands away from him, looking away embarrassed before I moved over to the edge of the hill, looking over the water while he left to hitch his horse up somewhere. At least that is what I assumed.