Chapter 5 Reapers Echo

I was 12, sitting with Shane in his office. My hands shaking slightly but my eyes were steady. Face hard and blank. Shane looked pleased.

"You did good kid." He praised.

"I'm not a kid," I repeated for what felt like the thousandth time.

"Your 12." He states.

"Yeah, and you're what? 42? An old man. But we both know we have more experience than our ages will ever show."

"I'm not 42!"

"What are you then 62? You didn't age that well. 42 was me being kind."

"I'm 24!" He protests.

"Yeah, you didn't age well."

Shane shakes his head and ran his hand through his hair. "Whatever. The fact is you succeeded." He paused. My eyes remained blank but my mind was reliving the events that had happened only a day ago. "You killed everyone you needed to, which added up to..." He trailed off flicking through papers.

He made a surprised but satisfied noise. "About 20 people, injured over 10 and we captured 5 for torturing and information. Well done." He repeated.

"That little," I replied in a bored tone while I felt like I was gonna throw up, but my head was swimming it felt like I was drowning. No. I was drowning. Only in my own thoughts. My face didn't betray me and my emotions. I looked emotionless. Just like my old man taught me. I thought bitterly but affectionately. The relationship I had with my old man was a confusing one, for sure.

"Is that all? If so where's my pay?"

"Hmph. Your father didn't lie when he said you got to the point and you do sound like him."

"Shut up and give me the money Old Man," I say annoyed, I just wanted to leave.

"Fine here, geez." He slides an envelope across the desk.

I pick it up and open it counting the money. I nodded my head satisfied that all the money I was promised was there. I get up to leave.

"Hey." Shane's voice stops me.

"What now?" I say slightly angry. Just let me leave.

"Here. From your old man." He slides 2 parcels over to me.

I walk over and grab them. "Bye," I say blandly.

I make my way through the guild to my room. Slamming the door shut and sliding the lock home. Before I let my guard down.

My face falls and my eyes well up. Tears threatened to fall.

Pull yourself together. I scold myself.

I gaze at my room. Practically empty. Just a double bed and a desk with a couple of chairs in it. Later turned into every assassin's dream hideaway.

 I walk over to a loose floorboard I hollowed out. Pulling it up, I hid the money in there. Later the empty space would be large enough for a couple of safes.

Placing the floorboard back I stand up and walk over to my bed which I sit upon. Staring down at the parcels.

Signing I slowly turn them in my hands. He actually cared enough to send me things for my birthday. I muse. He had left me with the guild while he and my mother worked with the Military police. They were the main forces in getting people out of jail. Aiden, my older brother just got out of the cadet training and joined them in the Mil. They all still kill and steal but on a much lower scale than I do.

I might as well open them.

Placing the smaller one beside me I feel the weight of the larger one. Slowly I open it tearing the paper that surrounded it. Revealing a dagger.