Chapter 30 Why Does This Keep happening?

"Got that?" Levi asked, eyes bearing into us, "He's Kenny the Ripper. If he's there he'll be our biggest obstacle. As an opponent, he's near the same level of threat as me. Actually, with the weapons he's got, he's even deadlier than me." 

"Then there's no way we can beat him..." Sasha spoke. 

I didn't look away from Levi. That's right. The only reason I won that fight is that he had a few knives. If he had a gun, his squad. Anything he has now, I'd be dead.

I got jolted back to the past, to remember the same thing they told me.

-------

"You did well, Echo." Shane praised me. 

I rolled my eyes at the man, "Of course I did. I'm not some half-assed, idiot."

"Really?" Bigfoot moves to me, fully geared up, "I'm surprised she's this smart, Shane." Kenny muses, "The others didn't bother to wait before coming after me."

Shane shook his head, "She's Blackthorn's daughter." 

"Ah, that explains it," Kenny said, gazing down at me. At that moment he was only thinking: What shit did he put her through to get her that hard-eyed at 14?

"Wow, thank you for that. You're making Father sound like a criminal." I say, unamused. Although all of us here are criminals, to each other though, we were just people who have a wide range of skills.

"Reaper, don't get cocky around him," Shane said, I turned to him, our eyes met and I was overwhelmed with what at the time seemed like concern, fear, pain, anything that caused me to clamp my mouth firmly shut. "If you went any other part of the day, when he was in an alley, he wouldn't have been by himself, if you decided a hit and run you'll be stopped before you got anywhere near him."

"So what you're saying is that the ones before me got impatient and tried to kill before gathering information?" I asked and he nodded. At that point in time, I couldn't really care for anyone else, I just didn't want to die. So I took precautions, I scouted out people I was unsure about, always looking at the price, the higher the price the harder the kill, usually. So if the price was high I'd scout out who it was first, looking at everything, tailing the one I'm meant to kill for hours, taking note of everything that seemed odd or out of place. 

This job took me a week, I wanted to be cautious as soon as I saw the guards outside, but I didn't want to take forever, with a guy like him, he didn't seem to be the type of person who would stay in one place for long periods of time.

"Kenny's dangerous. So if you ever get pissed off at him, don't try to fight him head-on."

I nodded, I knew this as soon as I saw what he was wearing. The modified ODM gear he wore around his hips. The kind of gear that's specialised for killing humans, not titans as they were made for. I knew, and I made sure to not piss him off too much. 

"Okay, whatever, Old man." I nod to Shane, "Can I go now, I want to go clubbing?"

"Aren't you too young for clubbing?" Bigfoot asks.

I shrug, "People have all kinds of things in their pockets. I wouldn't want to miss out." I grin at him, amusement gleaming in his eyes.

--------

I nearly smiled as the memory washed over me. I actually grew to like Kenny. He seemed like the cool Uncle to me at that age. I think he liked me too, he once scared off a guy who was hitting on me while we were on a mission. He nearly compromised it but it was so funny to tease him about it afterwards. He got so flustered.