Six Week Notice

Orion's wail rings through the trailer as I lift him in my arms and cradle him to my chest. There's no further need to worry about the boy's lungs, that's for sure. They are fully functioning and he uses them to his complete advantage to tell me just how upset he is about his diaper being dirty. I crinkle my nose at the disgusting smell and I grab a fresh one and some wipe. I lay him gently on the carpet and I undo his onesie as he swings his arms angrily around his head. I clean him up and fasten his clothes back up. I glance at the clock on the wall. Eight nineteen. It's bedtime.

I glance out the front windows at the driveway, but I don't see Eddie's van in the distance. He had a meeting with the label at five, but he said that's all he had for tonight and would be home as soon as he was finished. I hope he won't be gone too long.

I walk with a fussing Orion into the nursery. I turn on the white noise machine and dim the lights before I settle into the rocking chair and let him breastfeed for a while. Once his eyes grow heavy, I pull away from him and rock him until he gently drifts to sleep. I look down lovingly at his little face, already so much like Eddie's and I smile.

He's been home for a week and has adjusted to his routine with no issues. His dad and I have been finding our groove and he has, for the most part, been pretty patient about it. I run my hand through his springy brown hair and duck to kiss the top of his head. Once I got him home and the green light for kisses, I couldn't seem to stop smooching those chubby little cheeks. It's an odd addiction. I think Eddie is starting to get a little jealous.

I hear tires over gravel as I get up and set Orion in his crib. I place a protective hand over him momentarily before I grab the monitor and close his door behind me. I click on the machine and the only thing I hear is the white noise machine.

Eddie is walking into the front door with an apologetic expression and I lean sheepishly against the wall in the hallway, preparing myself for the reason behind his tardiness.

"Sorry," he whispers, approaching me directly and placing his hand on my hip. He kisses my forehead and I relax against him. "Joe wanted to go over sales and marketing strategies and I swear I lost ten years off my life just listening to him."

I giggle softly and Eddie smiles. He reaches up and tucks some of my hair behind my ear.

"I got out as soon as I could. There's no way I was missing a night as important as this."

My eyebrows furrow and I look up at him in confusion, but Eddie looks down at me as if I'm the one who is being weird.

"What's happening tonight?" I ask, bewildered. "You got a hot date I don't know about?"

Eddie huffs impatiently and turns away from me. He hurries into the kitchen and I stand locked in place. When I finally move to follow him, he's returned with the little calendar he keeps on the fridge with D&D characters on it. He points to today's date and there is a penis drawn inside the square. I raise my eyebrows, my gaze lifting to meet his.

"You went to the OBGYN today, right?" He asks and I nod. "Well, that means you are six weeks post birth and if she said you were healthy and she had no concerns, then you're ass is as good as mine."

I freeze at his words. Heat creeps over my body and my stomach does a little flip. I know he had mentioned penciling it into his calendar, but I didn't think he was serious. You would think after all this time, I would learn to take the man seriously!

My doctor had said I am as fit as a fiddle, but the idea of outright saying that now has me feeling oddly shy. Especially with his eyes searing into me like this. His eyebrow cocks into a challenging expression and I gulp slightly, suddenly feeling very parched. All this time without him has left me feeling like a wallflower.