Arabella

I haven't seen Eddie much outside of school for the last week between my cheer practices and Hellfire Club. We have talked every night on the phone though and have almost finished The Great Gatsby. We have fallen back into an easy routine and we move almost as a unit, anticipating the other's needs without a word. Our friends find it almost uncanny and comment on it often, laughing at how we act as no time has passed between us. 

Nothing untoward has happened over the last week either and I'm a little embarrassed about how disappointed I feel about it. I get the feeling that Eddie is handling me with caution, but every once in a while I will see that same fire in his eyes that was there out on the picnic table and I hold my breath, hoping for something that never comes. I worry that maybe I scared him off with my admission, but I wanted to be honest with him. 

I'm still so confused by my feelings towards Eddie. I find my thoughts drifting towards him at random times throughout the day. I wonder if he's paying attention in class, if he got enough sleep the night before, if he's thinking of me. When I'm with him I feel like my whole soul comes alive, almost giddy with energy. Even if I'm having a bad day I can't help but smile when he is around. I can't remember if it's always been like this. I know that Eddie has always been the person I preferred to spend my time with. If given the choice I would pick him over anyone else, but I don't remember this feeling in the pit of my stomach. It doesn't help that Eddie kind of spoils me, devoting almost all his attention to me. He talks almost solely to me at lunch and he walks me to and from classes, making me feel like he prefers me too. He's also extremely physically affectionate which I always knew and it hasn't changed since we were small, but it definitely feels different now. He likes to put his arm over my shoulder or hold my hand in the halls. He will subconsciously push my hair from my face, not even looking at me. Eddie will play with my jewelry if I wear any, sometimes stealing it for himself or he will simply run his fingers over my skin, making my head spin. I tell myself not to over react or over think, but my heart races none the less. 

When Gareth approached me yesterday and invited me to their gig at The Hideout tonight I agreed to go, excited to see Eddie outside of school. I wore dark jeans and a skull T-shirt today, my hair loose for the occasion. Once the final bell rang I headed home to kill some time. I worked on some homework until it was time to leave. I fluff my hair and retouch my makeup before heading out. I drive into downtown and find some free parking a little ways away from the bar. I grab my matching denim jacket from my backseat and walk up to The Hideout, the cool night breeze kissing my skin. The bouncer stamps my hand so I can't get any booze and I move inside through the clouds of smoke and blink in the dim light. I see the band setting up to start and I move into a corner, excited to watch. 

Eddie moves up to the mic and introduces the band, he jokes with some of the regulars who make song requests and they laugh along with him before he dives into the first song. His whole body transforms and I'm floored, staring up at him. His hands move gracefully over the strings and his face is relaxed and concentrated and he tilts his head and sings into the mic. His voice is raw and beautiful. I feel my head sway along to the song, my feet tapping and several people in the bar move along to the beat. They keep rolling song after song until finally they thank the crowd and take a bow. The room has grown packed, several people swarming in off the street at the sound of them playing and I'm pressed firmly in my corner against a wall. The crowd breaks out into cheers and I clap my hands together, yelling loudly. They, of course, can't hear me over the noise and make their way off stage, taking their equipment with them. I make my way to the stage, a slow and painful process that gets me a bunch of dirty looks and harsh words. 

By the time I get back there, Eddie is no where to be seen. Gareth and Jeff look up at me in surprise and I push my hair from face, wiping the sweat from my forehead with the back of my sleeve.