Mama, Don't Preach

My hands tremble as I help set the table. It's Friday night and per the usual, my mom has invited Eddie to have dinner with us. We discussed that tonight would be the night we tell her and I'm a nervous wreck. Over the last week, I've gone to my doctor and confirmed I am in fact pregnant with some bloodwork. I have scheduled my first ultrasound for when I'm a little further along. I have the paperwork from my doctor in a folder in my room, ready to show my mom when I know she will ask for it. 

Eddie is still as happy as a clam at the idea of being a dad. He has had a hard time knowing and not being able to tell anyone. Every time we see our friends he is practically bouncing in place with excitement and they watch him with perplexed expressions. Luckily, Eddie is an odd ball and they don't read too much into it. They have noticed my stress though. Max and Robin have called me a few nights after school to see if I was alright, having noticed I was incredibly tense throughout the day. Chrissy has even stopped by unannounced with candy and snacks to make sure I wasn't having any panic attacks or PTSD symptoms, worried my behavior has been due to the attack. It's killing me to not be able to rely on them right now.

I glance up at my mom as she moves around in the kitchen, setting rolls on a tray to go in the oven. Her golden hair is pin straight and comes down to her waist. Her frame is elegant and lean, even her fingers move gracefully. Our faces are so similar and I wonder if I will look like her when I'm her age. 

My mom was a teen mother. She didn't have it easy and I know it. I was there for every hardship, for every failure. But I was also there to watch her reach her dreams despite it all. I know my fear is due to not wanting to disappoint her. She has worked so hard to have us both come so far. I'm so young. I don't know if I am as strong as she was. I accidentally drop a fork due to my trembling fingers and my mom's eyes jump up to mine. 

"You alright, sweetheart?" she asks, wiping her hands on a towel and preparing to come around and check on me. 

"Yea," I say, waving her off. "Just lost in thought." 

I shake myself slightly and set the rest of the utensils on the table before I move to the sink and wash off the fork I dropped. I dry it with the towel my mom tossed on the counter and I set it on the table, stepping back to survey my handiwork. 

I hear the front door open and my shoulders relax slightly. I take a deep breath as Eddie's feet carry him into view and when I look up to meet his gaze, I'm surprised to see the panic I have been searching for, for the last week. My eyes widen as I take him in. He's as white as a ghost in the doorway, his hands ringing over and over again in front of himself. His hair looks more wild then normal as though he rode here with the windows down, which would be ridiculous. Even though it is early spring, the air still has quite the chill. His lips look chapped, as though he has been worrying at them with his teeth. His eyes frantically search my face, but before I can say anything my mom comes around the corner holding her lasagna with some pot holders. She sets it down on a towel in the middle of the table, smiling.

"Eddie, sweetheart, you're just in time!" she beams. When she looks up, her face falls though and she looks between Eddie and I for a moment.

"What's wrong?" she asks. "Is everything alright? Is Wayne alright?"

My mom steps towards Eddie with a hand over her chest obviously worried for the worst and I'm completely frozen. I don't know what to do. It's almost as if sirens are going off in my head and I can't figure out how the hell to turn them off. 

"Ripley's pregnant," Eddie blurts and I gasp. Well, that's one way. 

My mom freezes, her hand outstretched towards Eddie. No one moves or says a word. My heart hammers loudly in my chest as I watch my mom turn completely to stone. The kitchen timer eventually goes off for the rolls and I move to go get them, but my mom finally cracks. Her arm jerks out and she gestures for me to stay where I am as she slowly turns and vanishes into the kitchen without a word. Once she is gone, I reach behind me and grab a throw pillow from the couch and chuck it at Eddie's head. It hits him squarely in the face, catching him off guard and he huffs loudly.