Safe & Sound

"I promise you look great, sweetheart," Eddie whispers in my ear as I fidget with my clothes and jostle my book bag on my back. We are walking hand in hand through the school hallways and I can't help but notice the people turning to stare at us, the pity on their faces, or the whispers that follow. I keep trying to tell myself that maybe there is something wrong with my outfit or maybe my fly is down, but I know better. Word of what happened at Steve's party has spread and it is all anyone can talk about apparently.

I cling to Eddie's side as a few jocks pass by, glaring hatefully in my direction. I grip the hand holding mine more tightly and my other hand comes up to hold his forearm. Eddie leans over and kisses the top of my head.

"I've got you, baby," he whispers. "No one is going to dare bother you. They'll deal with me if they do."

I reach up and kiss the underside of his jaw, grateful for his presence. He walks me to my locker, keeping close so the people around keep their distance. Robin approaches us, her English material already gathered and pressed against her chest. 

"I'm so glad you're back," she says happily and hugs me around the shoulders. I relax into her, smelling the sweet familiar scent of her shampoo.

"I wish I could say it's good to be back," I roll my eyes as a group of girls pass glances at us as they stroll by, whispering to one another.

"Give it a day," Robin assures me. "Come tomorrow, no one will even remember you exist."

"Perfect," I mumble. "Just how I like it."

I gather my things and close my locker and Eddie steps forward grabbing my hand again. Robin looks down at it for a moment before dragging her eyes up to meet ours.

"Did you two ever think maybe people were staring because you guys are radiating lovey dovey vibes and not because of what happened?" She asked pointing down at our joined fingers with a raised eyebrow. "I mean, is this new?"

I blush slightly and look up at Eddie who has a smug grin on his face.

"It is new, but I think the whispering is about what happened at the party," I sigh. "Eddie and I used to hold hands in the hallways before and honestly I don't think anyone would bat an eye if we started making out either. Eddie tended to be all over me before too and besides it's common knowledge that we've always acted like a couple."

I blush harder at the last statement. Eddie and I haven't really talked about what we are yet or set any labels, just enjoying each other's affection. I just don't know how to ask him how to be my boyfriend. I get all tongue tied and nervous. Which is ridiculous! I mean, we have been intimate in the most literal sense and yet I can't ask him a simple question? Eddie also does not seem to be in a rush to ask me to be his girlfriend, which has made me lose my nerve.

"Common knowledge?" Robin asks with a chuckle as we make our way towards the English classrooms, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "Most guys won't go near Ripley because they think she is already taken and by Eddie, no less. I overheard two girls talking about one of them asking Eddie out while they bought weed from him, and the other girl flat out told her friend his girlfriend was Ripley Marro and she didn't stand a chance. I also have it on record that most of the cheer squad refers to you two as Mr and Mrs Munson."

I know for a fact my whole face and chest must be bright red now. I glare at Robin and try my best not to look at Eddie, but he clears his throat and rubs the back of my hand with his thumb, making me glance up at him.

"Mr and Mrs Munson, huh?" He asks with a huge grin on his face. The warning bell rings and Robin waves at both of us before ducking out to go to her class. Eddie pulls me off to the side next to my classroom.