Little Lies

"I'll only be gone for a couple of days." Eddie assures me, throwing his overnight bag into the back of his van. "I'll be back before you even notice I've left."

I shake my head, shooting him a dirty look. How could I ever not notice he is gone? What a silly thing to say.

Corroded Coffin has been getting a lot of attention lately. I'm beyond excited for them, but with all this newfound stardom comes additional pressure to tour outside of Hawkins and to continue to expand. Eddie and the boys are spending four days in Indianopolis. They'll be working a short circuit through some of the biggest bars the capital has to offer. The hope is that this will widen their following and really get their name out there. Eddie has been a jittery mess over this trip since the label mentioned it. I know they'll do great, but I can tell he is nervous. I want to be a ray of sunshine for him, but the idea of spending four days apart is driving me mad.

Since graduation, Eddie and I have been even more inseparable than before. We spend each morning in our little kitchen, eating breakfast and chatting happily. Eddie sends me off to work with a kiss and then he catches up on some much needed sleep, having been up most of the night working himself. When I get home, Eddie helps me make dinner. I've been trying to teach him how to cook and he has been taking my lessons very seriously. Even on days when I don't feel like cooking, he insists I at least walk him through how to make us something rather than calling for take out. He's gotten pretty good at some dishes. If I'm being honest, he makes a pretty mean fried egg and I love his enthusiasm every time I ask him to make me some.

"Four days is a long time," I insist, pouting up at him and he nods with a soft smile.

"I know, but I'll call you every night and we can fall asleep on the phone like we used to. I even packed The Hobbit for old times' sake."

I smile at that and he reaches forward to envelope me in his arms.

"Four days will go by in a flash," he promises and I nod against his chest. I know he is right, but I'm still sad.

"Now, you have to promise to behave while I'm gone," Eddie warns, pulling away to give me a calculated look.

"No midnight raves or shenanigans while I am gone." He fusses and I laugh softly. "I want you and bean in bed by ten o'clock. Got me?"

"Yes sir," I tease, playfully saluting him and he rolls his eyes at me once before his face sobers.

"I'm serious, sweetheart. If anything happens, you call me right away. You have the number to my hotel room as well as Gareth's. I also printed the list of bars we are playing at and their phone numbers and left it on the fridge. Don't hesitate to call me."

I nod, realizing it's my turn to soothe him.

"I'll be alright," I promise, looking up into his chocolate eyes. "I plan to spend the next four days catching up on some reading and decorating bean's bedroom."

"No moving furniture by yourself," Eddie warns, pointing a warning finger at me.

"I swear I won't," I tell him, holding my hands up defensively. "If I need anything moved, I'll call Dustin or Steve and make them come help me."

"Atra girl," Eddie says, reaching down to cup my chin in his hand. His eyes search mine and his entire demeanor softens.

"I'll miss you," he says and my heart flutters in my chest.

"And I'll miss you."

Eddie bends down to kiss me, his lips moving against mine. My entire body sparks to life and I sigh deeply against him as he pulls away, his nose grazing my own.