Overruled (Part 2)

Eddie stands and his hand slowly slips from mine, leaving me feeling cold and jittery. He gives me a reassuring smile as he makes his way up to the podium and my legs shake. Before I can really panic, Dustin slides into Eddie's spot beside me and grabs my hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze. Mike moves to slide onto the bench on my other side and gives my leg a calming pat before turning his attention forward. When Eddie finishes swearing in and turns to see them beside me, he smiles, making me smile in return.

"Hello, Mr. Munson," Mrs. Barley grins and Eddie looks at her nervously, nodding in greeting. I can see his fingers moving over his rings as he plays with the cool metal. His eyes move from Mrs. Barley to me and back, over and over. His normal goofy and fun-loving demeanor is gone and my heart clenches in my chest.

"From what I've come to understand, you and Miss Marro are in a romantic relationship. Is that correct?"

"Yes, it is," Eddie says softly, nodding. His brown curls move around his face as he bobs his head and he reaches up to push them out of his eyes.

"And you both started dating shortly after the party, right?"

Eddie nods again.

"How long have you known Miss Marro?"

"Ripley and I met during preschool when we were four years old."

"And when did you fall in love with Miss Marro?" Mrs. Barley asks and Eddie answers without hesitation.

"When I met her in preschool when we were four."

"So you both have kind of been inseparable for a long time?" Mrs. Barley questions, crossing her arms over her chest and Eddie nods.

"Mr. Munson, your police report was particularly gut-wrenching just based on how much worry there seemed to be that you had for Miss. Marro. Is it true that you stayed with her during her entire hospital stay?"

"Yes, it is. I promised her I wouldn't leave."

Mrs. Barley's smile is soft as she regards Eddie on the stand and he fidgets slightly, unsure what to do. Eddie isn't used to this kind of thing and the unfamiliar atmosphere is obviously making him uncomfortable.

"Mr. Munson, you told police that you had had a long history of issues with Mr. McKinney and Mr. Carver is that correct?"

"Yes, I have."

"Have they been violent towards you? And if so what happened?"

"I have gotten into multiple fist fights with Jason and almost every time Patrick has assisted him in some way. Either by being a look out so he wouldn't get caught, holding me down, or helping to beat me up."

"There are records, your honor, that have been submitted to evidence that show the long history of bullying and abuse Mr. Munson has endured due to Jason Carver and his friends. One instance in particular resulted in Mr. Munson's arm being broken and the school failed to follow appropriate disciplinary action for these boys due to their status on the basketball team."

The judge nods as she flips over to the section of evidence documented and her eyebrows shoot up at the number of incidents notated there. Her head shakes slightly in disbelief as she scans Eddie's school records. Mr. Azure begins angrily tapping his pen against his notebook, his leg bouncing underneath the table.

"Mr. Munson," Mrs. Barley begins, turning back to Eddie. "Did you have any difficulties after the party?"

Eddie's eyebrows furrow and he tilts his head slightly, obviously confused and Mrs. Barley shakes her head.

"Let me rephrase," she offers. "Did you have any issues sleeping or eating? Did you face any hardships returning to normal activity?"

Eddie is silent for a moment, his hands moving back over his rings. His eyes dart momentarily back to me before he focuses back on Mrs. Barley.