Worlds Apart

"Congratulations Ripley! You made varsity!" Chrissy and a few of the other girls on the team yell and I beam from ear to ear. They had us line up to see if we made it and mine was the last name to be called, my anxiety building over time.

The days leading up to tryouts I was really putting in the work to prepare, going on morning runs and practicing the routines they wanted us to demonstrate and I'm glad my hard work paid off. The squad swarms around me giggling excitedly and Chrissy has me hold out my arms, getting right into taking measurements for my uniform. She writes everything down and takes the information to Coach Carrie so she can order my outfit before the next football game. They give me the practice and game schedules and we chat for a few more minutes before it's time to leave.

I grab my duffel bag from the locker room and decide not to get changed. I'm going straight home and most of the student body is gone anyway. Besides I'm comfortable in my spandex shorts and Twisted Sister crop top, my sports bra and belly button piercing on full display underneath. I fix my bun in the mirror at least since there are quite a few loose stands. I leave the locker room with a dopey smile on my face. I swing my keys between my fingertips as I practically skip towards the parking lot. About halfway there I hear two boys talking in hurried tones around the corner and my happy pace falters. I tilt my head to the side as I try to listen more closely, but I can't make out what they are saying. I shrug and I'm about the pass by when one of their hand springs out and grabs my arm making me scream. Reflexively I ball up my fist and lash out, my knuckles connecting with one of the boy's noses with a crack and he hollers, dropping his grip.

"Jesus Christ," he yells and I back away. I look at his companion who looks beyond amused. He bites down slightly on his lip to keep from laughing.

"Eddie complains about you changing, but I don't see how," he chuckles and I furrow my eyebrows, confused. "That was just like old times."

Realization hits me and I gasp, my hand coming up to my chest.

"Gareth?" I ask and he nods enthusiastically, opening his arms for a hug and I step forward to embrace him. The other boy looks between us, annoyed. His face is red and puffy but at least he isn't bleeding. I sigh with relief as I pull away from Gareth and look at him.

"I'm sorry I hit you," I say earnestly and hold my hand out. "I'm Ripley."

The boy looks down at my hand and then up at Gareth who nods at him encouragingly. The boy's springy brown curls dance around his head as he moves. He gently takes my hand as though he's afraid I might break him and gives it a timid shake before dropping his palm back to his side.

"Dustin Henderson," he says and I smile brightly at him, making him gulp. From the looks of it, Dustin is probably a freshman or a sophomore at most but he's still taller then me. I've come to terms with my height, using it to my advantage. But it tends to throw people off when I hold my own. Dustin is obviously no stranger to that concept as he watches me with confusion and caution in his eyes.

"It's actually perfect we ran into you," Gareth says and I raise my eyebrows, intrigued. "We are having a Hellfire Club meeting tonight but one of our members bailed and we have been searching the school for a sub."

He holds his hands toward me and I look between them, not understanding what they are implying.

"What's Hellfire Club? And why would the loss of one member matter? Just have the meeting without them and be one short." I say and Dustin sighs, he looks at Gareth exasperated and Gareth holds out his hand as though to ask him for patience.

"Hellfire is our D&D club. We can't have the meeting with a missing member because we would be one player short for the campaign."

"Well why didn't you say that?" I huff and Dustin rolls his eyes. I shift the weight of my duffel on my shoulder and look between them.