Objection (Part 1)

Eddie's POV:

After several hours of going over medical records, crime scene evidence, and statements made to the police, it is finally time for testimonies to begin. Patrick's lawyer is really clamoring to get Ripley up on the stand first, but the judge lets the prosecution call the first witness. Mrs. Barley, the prosecution lawyer, calls Steve to the stand first.

We all turn to watch him as he slowly gets up, brushing his hands over his jacket as he straightens. He had settled in next to Chrissy and she pats his back reassuringly as he passes, making him smile. Steve approaches the podium and repeats the oath to be truthful during his testimony before he is instructed to sit facing the court. If he is nervous, he doesn't show it. He is Steve "The Hair" Harrington after all; one of Hawkins' most beloved sons.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Harrington," Mrs. Barley greets him with a welcoming smile. "I am just going to ask you some question in regards to October 3rd. You were in fact having a party at your house on the 3rd of October is that correct?'

"Yes, I did," Steve says with a nod.

"And Ripley Marro, Jason Carver, and Patrick McKinney were all at attendance at this party on October 3rd?"

"Yes, ma'am," Steve says clearly.

"How do you know Patrick McKinney and Jason Carver, Mr. Harrington?"

"I went to school with them and we were often times in the same social circles."

"And what would you say of their character?" Mrs. Barley asks and the defense lawyer, Mr. Azure, jumps up, holding his hand in the air.

"Objection your honor, leading!" he practically yells and the judge rolls her eyes.

"Overruled," she murmurs before gesturing for Steve to continue. He watches the whole exchange with amusement in his eyes before turning his attention back to Mrs. Barley.

"Honestly, I never liked either of them. Jason has always had cruel tendencies and has made it clear to the guys in his company that he thinks women are inferior to him. As for Patrick, he has always been quiet but he has a short temper and is easy to upset, especially when things don't go his way."

"And how do you know Ripley Marro, Mr. Harrington?" Mrs. Barley asks, nodding her head slowly.

"We hang out with the same friends and her boyfriend is one of my best friends," Steve says with a smile and his eyes meet mine for a moment. I grin back at him before he turns back to the lawyer in front of him.

"Did you know much about Miss Marro the night of the attack?"

"No," Steve says shaking his head. "I hadn't even met her yet. I had only heard about her from Eddie."

"And Eddie is?"

"Her boyfriend," Steve clarifies and Mrs. Barley nods.

"This Eddie is the same Edward Munson that was with you when you found Ripley with Patrick McKinney later on that evening is that correct?"

"Yes ma'am it is."

"Mr. Harrington you have since gotten the chance to know Mis. Marro, isn't that right?"

"Yes."

"And what would you say of her character?"

"Objection your honor, relevance," Mr. Azure calls and the judge looks between the two lawyers for a moment.

"I'm sorry your honor," Mrs. Barley says defensively, holding up her hands. "If the defense is going to make their case solely on Miss Marro's character or the lack thereof then I think it is relevant to inquire with the witnesses what her character is actually like."