New Party Member

Eddie's POV:

Ripley agreed to let me tell the guys on my own, each of us splitting the group up by gender and sharing the news. Divide and conquer! She has gone over to Chrissy's. The girls have decided to have a spa day and everyone except for Robin seems genuinely excited about it. Poor Rob paled at the prospects, but she ultimately agreed to go with some persuasion from Cleo. 

The guys and I have decided to hold a campaign at Mike's. Steve agreed to come only if we don't force him to play and if snacks are provided. The Wheeler's basement is large enough for us to have our campaign and for Steve to watch the television without bothering one another. I know he will get wrapped up in what we are doing though, even if he says he isn't interested. The last campaign he came to he commentated over Dustin's shoulder the entire time which made the younger boy so frustrated his rolls were all over the place throughout the night. 

I pull up to the familiar house just as Lucas is walking up the driveway, a smile on his face. He jogs over to help me with the snacks and supplies in the back of my van. 

"Man, it feels like forever since we have had a campaign. Or since we have all been together, just to hang out," he says wistfully and I nod. It really has been forever. Mike waves over at us from the door, holding it open as I kick my van doors shut. 

"It has been forever," I say. With everything going on, I can't even remember the last time I've been to the Wheeler house. I used to be here every other weekend. We say hey to Mike's mom and dad as we head to the basement. His mom waves with a smile and his dad grunts, not even bothering to look up from his newspaper. Holly is tethered to the television, watching cartoons. 

Dustin, Will, Gareth, and Jeff are clearing off the tables in the basement as Lucas and I set the stuff down on the couch. Dustin moves forward to clap me once on the back and I tussle his hair. He squints up at me as his springy curls move into his eyes. 

"What's with the impromptu campaign?" He asks and I shrug. 

"Just felt like it's been a long time," I answer and he nods. 

"Alright, nerds," Steve calls, clamoring down the steps. He pulls his sunglasses up off his eyes and smiles down at everyone, setting them on his head. "Let's get this over with so we can do something normal, like watch a movie or talk about girls." 

Dustin rolls his eyes and snorts. "And since when have we ever been normal?" 

"Fair point," Steve says, moving over to the table where Will is setting up snacks and snatches some chips. He plops down on the couch and grins up at me. 

"How you been, Munson?" he asks. "I haven't seen much of you since Ripley's birthday. Been too busy with your girl for me?" 

I laugh and shake my head. And he calls us nerds?

"I can say the same about you, Harrington. You've been locked up with Chrissy. I've been waiting for your distress signal." 

"I have been a little distracted," Steve says with a cheesy grin and wags his eyebrows at me. I snort and roll my eyes. 

"Alright, I think we are all set up," I say, waving over to the table. Everyone moves forward to take a seat except for Steve, who stays on the couch and sprawls out. He munches loudly on his chips. I pull out the little gift wrapped box Ripley helped me prepare from my bag and I toss it to Dustin. He looks down at it confused before his eyes drift back up to meet mine. 

"Don't open that until I tell you to," I instruct him. "It's part of the campaign." 

He nods and sets it on the table, beside his hand and I gulp slightly. My hands shake and I take a deep breath to steady myself. This is the most nervous I have ever felt going into a campaign with my friends before. I hope they enjoy the ride because I'm going to make it a good one.