Unintended

"This can't be happening," I say for maybe the millionth time in the last hour and Eddie reaches out to rub my back reassuringly.

As soon as I realized my period is over a week late, Eddie offered to drive me to the drugstore to get a pregnancy test. I try over and over to rationalize that I can't possibly be pregnant. I've been on the pill for months. My periods are extremely consistent though and my sudden nausea this morning has got my mind working in overdrive.

Much to my surprise, Eddie is completely calm. He's almost chipper even as he walks with me down the aisles of the store in search of what I need. His eyes scan the shelves and he hums softly to himself, a smile on his lips. I narrow my eyes at his suspicious behavior, worried that maybe he doesn't understand the full magnitude of the situation.

We get to the feminine product and family planning section and my eyes roam over all the options. My palms shake and are a little sweaty at all the different options. I just need a yes or no answer for Christ's sake. I grab a few different kinds, figuring taking multiple tests won't hurt anything and I head towards the counter with Eddie on my heels.

"Do you want any snacks while we are here?" He asks, looking at the candy by the checkout counter and I shake my head. I'm completely unnerved by his demeanor. I expected him to freak out at least a little. Instead, he is the picture of cool, calm, and collected.

Eddie pays for the tests, waving me off when I reach for my purse and we head out. When we get back to the house, I immediately head into the kitchen and crack open a water bottle, openly chugging until it's gone. Eddie hands me a second one once I'm finished. He's reading the boxes the tests come in and his eyebrows are furrowed in concentration. His hands grip the edge of the counter as he stares down at them, all lined up.

"It says for best results you should use the first urine of the day," he says, peeking up at me and I shake my head.

"There is no way I can wait until tomorrow. We can save one for tomorrow morning to double-check, but I'm taking the rest of them now."

Eddie pushes one of the boxes out of the little group he has made and I decide now is as good a time as any. I move to one of the cabinets and grab a plastic disposable cup. Eddie hands me the three tests I can take today and I walk into the bathroom. I don't even bother to close the door as I squat and pee in the cup, setting it aside and finishing. I rip open each box and one by one, I dip the tests in the cup and then set them flat. Eddie had vanished for a moment, but when he returns, he sets my mom's cow kitchen timer on the bathroom sink for the appropriate time. I quickly wash my hands and he guides me from the bathroom, running his hands up and down my arms.

"Relax, love," he whispers as he pulls me into his embrace and kisses the top of my head. "I've got you. No matter what, I've got you."

I sink into him. I take a deep breath and let his familiar scent fill my lungs. I close my eyes and for a moment, I'm able to completely forget my surroundings. The timer suddenly chimes and I jump back, looking up at Eddie with wide eyes and he reaches out to tuck a stray curl behind my ear. Before either one of us can say a word, I turn and run into the bathroom. I slide inside and look down at the three tests on the counter.

Three little plus signs stare back up at me and my stomach turns. I gasp and cover my mouth, stumbling back into the door slightly. Eddie moves quickly forward to catch me before I completely fall over and then he peeks over at the tests, finally seeing the positive results for himself.

I watch in silence, my hands still over my mouth, as a million different emotions flitter over Eddie's face. His grip on me tightens slightly and I can feel a tremble in his fingers against my skin. When he finally turns to look at me, he is crying. Tears rain down his cheeks and his brown eyes glow.