Prolouge

The sun filters in through the slats of the blinds, gently coaxing me awake. I groan and stretch out, my arm reaching across the bed to him. Instead my fingers grasp at the empty cotton sheets that were cold. I open my eyes and see that my hunter isn't there. I lean up and look around for him, noticing that his stuff is gone as well. I rub my eyes and look over at the clock, reading six am.

I groan and slump back onto the bed for a moment before rolling over and putting my feet into my slippers. I yawn and stretch my arms out, his plaid shirt riding up my stomach. I walk out and look around for any note he might of left but there wasn't anything. I scratch my head in puzzlement and I walk over to my phone, dialling his number off by heart. The phone rings but no one answers.

I hang up the phone and walk back upstairs, deciding to go to his house. I quickly get dressed and grab the keys to my pick up and quickly drive over to his house. He only lives across the creek, yet the drive is long. I pull up out front of his house and see that neither his pick up or Merle's bike are out front. I walk up the steps and knock on the door.

"Dare?!" I yell out.

There's no answer and I try again, "Merle? Open up!"

There isn't any sign of them and I get the spare key out from under the mat. I open the door and the stench of alcohol hits me like a ton of bricks. I screw my nose up in disgust at the smell and realise that their dad must be back. I walk in and go toward's Daryl's room, knowing my way around fairly well. I open the door and freeze on the spot. The room is the same, yet different. All of his stuff, not that there was much to begin with, is still there. Yet his clothes were gone as well as his bow.

Fear runs through me as I rush to Merle's room and see the same thing. Panic begins to settle in as I realise what's going on. I begin to freak out and I quickly rush out of the house and into my truck, the keys falling to floor of the cab. I scream out in frustration and lean against the wheel, sobs rocking my body. I take deep breaths but the pain is too strong. I feel a vibration begin in my pocket and I pull out my phone and see the smiling face of my best friend.

"Hello?" I say gruffly.

"Hales, what's wrong?" Maggie asks, her voice laced with worry.

I begin to sob again and she begins to panic, "What's wrong?" She repeats.

"He's gone, he left me." I whisper.

"Daryl?" She asks in disbelief. I nod and sob out, though she can't see me.

"Hales."

"Why?" I choke.

"Come here right now and we'll talk about this." She commands.

"I don't-" I sob.

"I swear, if I ever meet this guy. I'm going to kill him." She says, grinding her teeth.

"Hayley, come over right now. Please." She pleads.

"Okay." I whisper after a moment.

I hang up and stare at the house for a moment, many memories running through my mind. It takes all my strength but I start the car and speed away, avoiding looking into the rear view mirror.  Maggie has never met Daryl, due to that fact that I go to college three hours away. She has been my best friend and the one I have turned to besides Daryl. I cry out at the thought of his name as I turn to the highway and begin to three hour drive to her house, knowing I need my best friend now more than ever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"How're you going up there?" Maggie calls up.