Insert 84

A driver escorts me back home,I guess they are all busy especially if it's a full house. Immediately when the plane landed I started feeling uneasy what can i say maybe it's because I know how much work a full Zulu house provides for us young brides. As we drive through the gates it's clearly visible that every family member is present here,luckily I briefly met all of them at my wedding. I get out of the car and the driver takes my bags upstairs after I direct him to where my room is.

"Sphesihle!" Uncle Vusi's wife,MaShandu shouts as she comes to where I'm standing.
I plaster on a smile on my face.
"Aunty" I greet.
She looks me up and down and then claps her hands out of shock.
"Yazi kumnandi ukuba yini buka you have dressed to kill while we Zulu wives slave away in preparation for everything"(You know it's nice being you look...) she says clicking her tongue and going inside.
What a welcome. I follow silently behind her and even inside it's chaotic. I stand there looking at everyone doing their assigned chores. When it comes to traditional ceremonies the entire staff gets a week off while all of the family members do the work that's how it works,I think Baba made that rule because he doesn't want to spoil them any further.
"Weee Sphesihle usamile? Hambo ncedisa ukupheka ngale emuva"(you are still standing there? Go help out with the going at the back) she says disappearing into the lounge.
I haven't even been here for 5 minutes but I'm already being bossed around. I was hoping to see my husband first but I guess I will see him later on,this comes first. I quickly walk to my room taking the stairs two at a time.
"Sphesihle you will fall and hurt yourself stop that" Gogo reprimands as I reach the top.
I give her a sheepish smile.
"Sawubona Gogo unjani?" (Hello Gogo how are you?) I greet.
"Ngiyaphila ngane yami you just arrived?"(I'm well my child...) she asks standing up properly to look at me since she was dusting the table.
"Yep and I'm already needed at the back" I say shrugging and she laughs.
"You look different..." she says looking at me from head to toe.
I look down. I hope she can't tell that I'm pregnant. I need to leave here before she does.
"Gogo let me change my shoes before MaShandu sends an army to fetch me" I say going to the direction of my room.
She laughs and nods here head. When I look back she is still looking at me,I have to change into something more lose. I can't have them finding out just yet.
I quickly take off my dress and put on a floral flowing dress,I put on a long sleeve black t-shirt underneath because I certainly can't handle a cardigan right now. Then I put on my comfy slippers. I check the time and I guess the ladies are already preparing for supper because it's too late for lunch. I put on my apron and put my phone into the pocket then quickly jog downstairs.

"Sanibonani" I greet.
They all greet in return. There is Nokuzotha,Anele's mom,Two of Zano's cousins and to my surprise Buhle also. I quickly give Buhle a hug.
"Do you need help?" I ask.
"Girl... we surely do before MaShandu drives us insane" Nokuzotha says and we laugh.
Yep! That woman is a disaster i tell you.
They fill me in on what they are making,only Buhle and Nokuzotha are busy with the veggies while the rest are sitting down and catching up on gossip.
"I didn't think you were going to be here" I say to Buhle as I wash the chicken pieces and put them into the huge pot.
"Bab' Cele requested everyone" Buhle says.
"And just a heads up,don't be surprised when you see Dudu here" Nokuzotha adds as she finishes chopping the onions and cleaning her work station.
Her lobola was paid in full so I don't have a say in that. I just nod my head and we continue chatting as we cook. Nokuzotha lights the fire for the huge pot that we will be using for pap and Buhle pours water into it as I continue adding spices to the chicken stew.
"Yazi as grown as I am I still don't know how to cook in that three legged pot" Buhle says and we laugh.
"I can cook in it kodwa ipapa awungeke!"(...but pap I can't) Nokuzotha says shaking her head vigorously causing us to laugh even louder.
"Manje should we call MaShandu to make pap since we all can't?" I ask in between laughs.
They both widen their eyes at me.
"Nokuthi sithethiswe kungcono badle impuphu ihlaza"(rather than being yelled at by her they would rather eat raw mealie meal) Nokuzotha says.
I laugh at her. I'm just pulling her leg,Buhle knows that I can manage to cook anything in these three legged pots.
Zano calls me as I mash the potatoes. I quickly answer it and put it on my ear balancing it with my shoulder as I continue mashing these potatoes.
"Hey daddy" I say.
Nokuzotha looks at me for a bit and then goes back to telling Buhle about the elder women in the family.
"Sthandwa Sami uright?" He asks.
"Yes love I'm okay wena?" I ask.
"Hhayi cha mina ngishoda ngabe ukuphi kanti?"(I'm not well I just need you where are you?) He asks and I let out a chuckle.
"At the back,MaShandu has put me on cooking duty"
"Weeeeee! Cele wants to see you related to the dream you had,I will be home in a few minutes then I will take you and Gogo there" he says.
"Ugogo?" I ask.
"Yebo mommy uCele uthe naye uyadingeka"(Cele said she is also needed) he says.
There is something about the way that being called Mommy that wants me to give him a whole soccer team of kids.
"Okay akunankinga Mageba" I say.
"Ngiyakthanda uyezwa?"
"Yebo daddy nami ngiyakthanda" I say then he hangs up.

The sun is already setting and we are done cooking. We firstly dish up for the different groups of men in huge bowls then all the other family members after. Enhle and her cousins help us with serving people. I go inside the house to check if everyone is served and I bump into baba. He looks like he just got here,he is wearing overalls.
"Awu! Makoti" he greets.
"Yebo baba"
"Mfazi kaBhuti" Siphephelo greets as he joins us.
As I'm about to answer Zanothando makes his way to me and side hugs me. They are all wearing overalls I guess they were out and they just got back.
"Koti silambe!"(We are very hungry) Siphephelo says sighing.
I chuckle a bit,I know he is exaggerating it.
"Ithi nginilethele ukudla ngokushesha bhuti ningahlala phansi"(Let me quickly bring you food brother you can sit down) I say motioning to the dining room with my hand.
They go take their seats as I go to the kitchen. I pour warm water into a bowl with a bit of dishwashing liquid and grab a dishcloth they will use to wipe their hands. I put it on their table with the dishcloth on the side and go dish up for them outside.
"Uphakela bani?"(Who are you dishing up for?) Buhle asks as she chews away on her chicken bone,her and Nokuzotha are already done eating.
"The king and his princes" I say as I put the lid of the large pot and scoop pap into three plates.
"They must be hungry they left early in the morning without eating" Nokuzotha says as she gathers all the dishes.
I nod at her and finish dishing up and then take the men their food on a tray.
"Siyabonga makoti" Baba says after I give them their food.
I nod my head and smile.
"Uphi ugogo sihambeni?"(Where is Gogo so we can leave?) Zano says as he stands up.
"Cha Zulu eat first then we will leave after" I say placing my hand on his shoulder so that he sits down.
He nods his head and does exactly that not forgetting to remind me to also eat. I see baba smiling as I turn to leave.

Me and Gogo both sit on one grass mat as Zano and Siphephelo sit on the other one.
"Makhosi sesifikile" Zano says to Cele.
"Siyabonga Ndabezitha. MaMadlala abaphansi bayakhala bayabona izingane ziyathatha kodwa bona itiye labo alikho"(the ancestors are crying they can see that their children are getting married but there is not even a little ceremony for them) Cele says looking at Gogo.
I guess she is MaMadlala,I didn't even know that. Gogo nods to Cele so that he continues.
"Umakoti omdala uhambe la emhlabeni ningamenzelanga naye kusho ukuthi bonke abomakoti bakwaZulu basephutheni lana"(the eldest makoti passed without you guys having performed this ceremony for her meaning that every Zulu makoti is in the wrong) Cele says.
"Manje baba siyilungisa kanjani le nkinga? " (How do we fix this problem) Siphephelo asks.
"Kuzofanele ukuthi lo msebenzi wenziwe ngaphambi kokuthi nginiqinise kanye nomuzi. Loku kuzonceda ukuthi konke kukhanye"(this ceremony must happen before I strengthen the royal house. This will help in lightning your paths) Cele says.
"Intombazane la njengoba kwiyona ekhethiweyo izomela uMa wayo iNdlovukazi. Izoyenza konke okufanele kwenziwe umakoti omdala iphinde yenze okufanele yenziwe umakoti omncane"(since this girl is the chosen one she will in stand in for her mother-in-law the Queen. She will perform all the duties that are supposed to be done by the first wife and then she will have to perform all the duties of a junior wife.) Cele says.
My heart starts racing at the mention of all of this.
"Bonke labafazi bathathwe KwaZulu kodwa basaziphatha okwabantu bonke. Yilapho wena kanye noGogo nidingeka khona kumele nibafundise indlela yokuziphatha njengabafazi basebukhosini,yiyo indlela oyolungisa umuzi wakwaZulu ngayo"(All these women married into the Zulu royal family but they still behave like commoners. That is where you and Gogo come in you must teach them how to behave like royal wives,thats the way you are going to fix the royal house) Cele says looking directly at me.
He must be joking how am I supposed to teach those bullies how to be royal wives when I don't even know what that is myself. I take a deep breath in and nod my head,indicating that I heard him. Then he goes on to tell us how we should do things,honestly I can't even pay attention because all of this is just too much for me. When he is done he gives us impepho and tells me to go to my mother-in-law's grave with Zano to tell her about everything. Apparently the old man,whom I found out is king Zwelakhe,Zano's grandfather will come teach me how royal wives behave in my dreams and that is what I'm supposed to pass on to the others once I have dreamt of him then I'm supposed to go to the river with Zano before the ceremony to let the ancestors know that I'm doing what they told me to do.

UNEDITED!!!