Story of the century(Smallishbeans)

Smallishbeans Angst...anyone?

____[Pixlriffs]_____

When we had our first meeting of Empires, well it was odd to say the least. A dozen strangers sitting around a fire. A woman who was certainly not human who wore a mask to hide it. A man who wore clothes with every color of the rainbow, another who wore a sheriffs hat.

But the one who caught his attention the most? A bearded man who stood at six foot tall, he was near silent the whole time, only uttering his name when the masked girl asked it. Even then he flinched at the question.

Joel, he said he was called, he stared at the grass longingly, as if it was going to disappear at any moment.

He knew something.

He was hiding something.

...

A month later was their first real interaction. 

The god was more talkative than before, but anytime I brought up my profession. Any time at all, the god would freeze up and avoid eye contact for a short moment. Then return speaking and change the topic quickly. 

When Joel led him inside so he could get the payment for the string he stayed at the first room. Looking around at the clay pottery, all perfectly sculpted, and preserved. The fashion of it was old, and didn't fit whatsoever on the quartz pillars they stood on.

"Where did you get those?" I asked once the god had returned with a large pouch of gold. Joel froze in an instant, then I watched as he quickly forced himself to relax. 

"It was an old hobby, a family tradition, my parents' projects are long gone and I haven't made one in years." He stated, a tremble to his voice.

"Can I see them? I won't touch of course." I asked. A small nod in response.

When I got closer to inspect them my theory was proven. These things would have to be at least a couple hundred years old, and from my memory, they were from here. 

"What are you hiding?" I muttered to myself.

"What was that?" The other man asked.

"Nothing Joel, just the quality is incredible."

...

Another few weeks went by, I kept trying to figure out the past, the past empires, the buildings that used to be here, everything. So I gathered everyone to tell the story I had found out so far. 

I told them about the past rulers that lived on this planet.

History is told by the victors and everyone lost.

History repeats itself.

The entire time I continued to steal glances at the god. When I mentioned that history always repeats itself I saw the god glance at Scott with a look of sadness. 

When I had finished my story, everyone began to leave. "Joel?" I muttered. "Hm?"

"Stay here for a minute, I want to speak with you." 

_____[Smallishbeans]_____

This guy, the guy from the desert, copper king- no, no this man was someone else. This man looked just like him, sounded just like him, acted just like him... but it wasn't him. He didn't remember, he died a hundred years ago Joel.

"Why did you want to talk to me?" I asked him once the others left.

"You know something, you are hiding something, I want you to tell me."