Memories (Grumbo)

This Drabble/really really short story was inspired by a song by Cavetown called jacks song, Grumbo was requested by  so here you go.

__________________________

"Do you remember back when we were kids? We would play on your trampoline. I think we fell asleep one time." The blonde asked.

"And that one time? When we were so excited that your mom let us hang out at the park? We were running so fast we left the front door open." A gruff chuckle followed the blonde's voice.

The rain that was just a sprinkle before now was able to soak through the man's sweater as he 

stood.

The man sat down under the oak tree on that hill. The gray clouds that blanketed the usually beautiful scene.

"You know, I really wish we played more of those mini games together, would've been so much fun."

He curled up in himself, knees to his chest. His blue eyes glazed over with old memories.

The man yawned, "I should head home in a few. It'll get late."

Then his head slumped down to rest on the tree.

——

Three kids sat in a back yard, a huge house blocking most of the sun.

"I triple dog dare you to eat it!" A raven-haired boy yelled, no older than six. "no way she'll do it!" Another yelled,he was shorter than the raven haired. Then the girl picked up a dead slug from the ground and put it in her mouth, swallowing it with a smirk. "EWW! GROSS!" The blonde yelled, giggling.

-

"Hey! Look at this blue one, Grian!" The raven haired boy was back and he was calling the blonde over, Gri. "Woah! Mumbo! Look, I found a red one! It's cooler!" Grian told Mumbo, running over to show him his beetle. "I'm winning though! Mines bigger!" Mumbo grinned. "Oh shut up! Mine's cooler!"

-

"Race you to the top?" Grian asked, they were a little older now, mud coated both of the boys. "I'll win for sure, I've got longer legs!" Mumbo said, putting his foot on a ledge of the tree to climb up. Grian followed suit, yelling at the other about the height difference.

"I win!" The shorter yelled once he was at the highest branch.

-

Now the two boys were in a hallway, playing with little stuffed toys.

"Mumbo! Grian! Brush your teeth before bed! Just because it's a sleepover does not change that!" A woman's voice yelled from a few rooms over. "YES MA!" Grian agreed, showing Mumbo to the bathroom. "What are you doing?" The taller asked, curious over why the other boy was climbing onto the sink. "What does it look like beanstalk!?"

The shorter handed Mumbo a spare toothbrush.

-

The boys were in the woods, now looking to be ten or eleven. Each wore a striped shirt in neon colors and held a green tee in the opposite hand.

"Okay, so this is how the game works, it's hide and seek... buuuut the hider has to wear a striped shirt so it's harder for them, got it Mumby?"

"Okay, but I get The whole forest to hide in, right?" "Yeah! I'll count to sixty." Grian grinned, covering his eyes so he could still see a little. "One, two, thr-"

"GRIAN! NO PEEKING!" Mumbo yelled as he ran off.

-

The man jolted upwards, a twig from the tree he was under had snapped, waking him up. A sad smile grew on the male, tears filled his eyes. "Hey, look, the sun's up." The man spoke, turning to the stone next to him.

Dec 1 1995–Aug 7 2021

-x-x-x-x-Mumbo Jumbo-x-x-x-x-

A beloved husband and father

"You know, I like to imagine you're just sleeping, just to make it easier. So while you sleep on this nice sunny day, just know we'll remember you always. See you later Mumby." The man stood up and walked down the hill. Clutching his soaking red sweater.

The man whispered one last thing as he reached his hobbit hole base.

"I'll be with you someday, but I'll have a good life till then... Just like you told me" 

(696 words)

You didn't specify that it had to be cute and fluffy, so if I decide that it's gonna involve character death... then yeah that's what's happening.