chapter thirty one - needle

GREYSON

She's shot.

My father shot her.

I let go off my own gun and hurry up to her, catching her in my arms before she fell onto the floor. Her clothes are all bloody and she's struggling to breathe.

"Leila- Why did you come out? I told you-"

"It's okay, it's okay." She chokes, placing her blood filled hand on my cheek, "I love you."

"No, no, you stay awake." I feel the tears leave my eyes, "You're not leaving me."

"It's alright. You made my life better." She's trying so hard to breathe properly but instead, she chokes. She just chokes on her words.

"I love you, Greyson." Her eyes start to close and I widen my eyes, tears brimming out of them. This can't be happening.

"No!" I shout, placing my forehead on hers, "I love you. Please don't leave me."

I don't hear her struggling breaths anymore.

My tears fall onto her face and I lift my head, rubbing her cheek before looking up, my eyes met by Luca.

His lips are parted and he looks like he's about to scream his lungs out.

He falls to his knees and I see Mila come into my vision, kneeling down to his height. She brings him into her embrace and rubs his back countless times.

Suddenly, hands are placed on my shoulders, carefully dragging me away from Leila.

"No, no." I mumble, seeing how Silas is lifting her up.

"She'll be okay." Jacob's words circle in my head. I'm numb. I can't feel anything. She was the only thing that ever made me feel something.

"How do you know that?"

"Because she's Leila. Your Leila."

- - -

LUCA

I find her in her room, blood splattered around her. She looks done, so done.

"Leila, what the fuck did you do?" My voice is quiet and I walk up to her, grabbing the piece of metal out of her hand. There's no point of showing her that I'm panicking right now, she'll feel bad about it later and think it's her fault.

But it's not and it never will be.

"I can't do this anymore, I just can't." She whispers, looking up at me with distant looking eyes. I press my hands against the wound, clearly stopping the blood from coming out.

"Yes, you can. We'll get out of here, I promise." I'm not sure if I can make that happen. What will mom do? No, not even mom. Mother.

She's not our mom. We never had a mom.

No, she never did anything to me but the things she does to Leila is more than enough to make me call her mother instead of mom. Because she doesn't deserve the title of mom.

A mom is supposed to be caring and loving and just genuinely love you for who you are.

Our mother never did that. Never ever.

"Luca, it hurts. My heart hurts." Her voice is falling apart. I've never heard her voice sound so broken before.

"I know, I know but I need you." I say, feeling my own tears drop down my face, "I need you more than anything. You are the only person that ever gave a fuck about me. You are the only person that ever made me feel loved. You are my person. My forever number one."