chapter five - away

LEILA

When I wake up, it's around 10 am. I just put on some sweatpants and step out of my room, making my way to the kitchen. I hear talking and it's one voice I don't recognise.

It's a girl. Must be Mila.

I come into the kitchen and all of their attention goes to me.

"Hi, Leila." Luca greets me with a warm smile and I smile back.

"Leila, this is Mila." My head turns to Greyson and the girl sitting beside him.

"Hi." I look at her with a smile but the girl looks traumatised. She looks at me and nods.

I nod back at her and sit down on the stool beside Luca.

"What are we doing today?" I ask, looking over to Greyson, his eyes already plastered onto me.

"We're going away for a few days. On a mission." Luca explains and I nod, for like the 200th time already.

"Just us boys." My eyes glides over to the blonde haired boy. Jacob, I think. He's looking intensely at me, like I'm some sort of threat to him.

"Alright, this was a nice chat. I'll just go back to my room." I awkwardly excuse myself from the table and walk back to my room.

What do I do for the rest of the day?

- - -

I believe it's been 4 hours since my last interaction with a human so I'm not that surprised that someone knocks on my door. I expect it to be Luca or Greyson, so I lay still in my position.

I'm laying on my back with my head out the edge, hanging so my vision is upside down. I hope you get it.

As I said, when I turn my head, I was not expecting the black haired girl standing there, her eyes being everywhere but on me.

"Oh, hi." I say, sitting up and smiling at her.

"Hi." Her voice is strong but also weak, "Um, Greyson said I could stay here until my room was fixed."

"Yeah, sure. I would love some company. And especially a girl!" I say, excitedly. She finally looks at me and wow, she's pretty. Like really, really pretty.

She stands in the doorway, not moving until I speak up.

"Come here, you can sit down if you want." I pat the spot beside me and she start to walk over to me, taking a seat beside me. She's not a shy one, I can see that.

I can see her faint, visible scars on her arms, but her hands are trying to cover them up.

"Mila." Her head snaps to me as she hears her name being said.

"I know you maybe feel a little uncomfortable but I'm always here if you need to talk with someone. Or if you just want someone to be in your presence." I say to her, hearing the honesty in my voice.

"Thank you." Her voice cracks at the end of her sentence and she looks like she's about to cry.

"Oh, come here." I open my arms for her, and she gratefully accepts my hug. Her head is on my shoulder and I hear her small sobs.