46

The scream of an animal, of a monster, falls silent and I'm thrown back into the wooden floor of my dorm. It knocks the wind out of me, forcing me to regain my breath as people come in to see what happened.

"Hyung, what happened?" Jeongin practically screeches, falling to his knees. "Are you okay?"

I hold my hand up, trying to pull myself together. My body was trembling and I'm sure my face was burning red with anger.

"I... I had it," I growl, panting.

"What?"

"Bin, what happened?" Chan comes in next, worriedly coming to my side.

I sit up, hitting the lower cupboard with my fist so hard that the one next to it rattles. "I fucking had it! I had it in my grip. I would've killed it. I could've killed it. You fucking coward!" I scream, praying that it could hear me.

"Hey, hey. It's okay. You're okay now."

"No, no! I had it, Chan. If I had just killed it or hurt it enough, it would leave us alone. You can't be afraid of it, hyung. You and Minho. Don't let it get to you. You can't or else it won't leave. We're all counting on you two."

"I know." He clenches his jaw, almost looking guilty.

I look down to my lap, trying to take in calm breaths. Why us? Why did it choose us?

_____

Minho

I can't breathe. I'm frozen in the corner of my room. My heart has dropped. The thought of impending doom strong in my veins.

My breaths are shooting out from my lungs. I can't control it. My body isn't listening. What's happening to me? Is the monster doing this? I'm dying. Why am I dying?

Tears are streaming down my face. I can't shout for help. My members are not here. They can't hear me. How can't they hear me? My heart is beating so loud. How can they not hear that?

As I try to yell for help, the words get stuck in my throat. All that comes out is a whimper. I can't move. I can't breathe. I'm dying and I can't do anything about it.

There's a knock on my door. I can't open it. I locked it because I was afraid. How stupid could I be? They can't help me. I've made my own death. The people I love... I can't say goodbye.

I try shouting again, but a squeal comes out instead. My legs go weak and then numb. I fall to the ground, the panic hitting harder. My lungs ache. My throat burns.

A crash above me sounds loudly, but I can't hear it over my heartbeat. Please stop. Please stop. Please stop. I don't want to die. I'm not ready.

"Minho, Minho, baby. Look at me."

Changbin is speaking, touching me and talking. He's forcing me to look at him, but I can barely see him through the blur of my tears.

"You're okay. I'm here. You're okay. Listen to me. Try to control your breathing, okay? Deep breath in, deep breath out. Watch me. Just watch."

He tries to show me, but my arms give out before I can listen. He pulls me into his lap, brushing my hair. Touch. The touch is nice.

"Slow it down, Min. Everything is okay. I'm here."

He tries to take his hand away, but I grab it. I hold it tightly, needing it to ground me.

"Hey, breathe in with my squeezes."

He squeezes my hand for a few seconds and lets it go. He does it again, trying his best to help me.

That's all I wanted. Help. My family.

And he made it.