45

Changbin

Emptiness is how my heart feels once I awaken. The happiness that was once in it gone from my favorite people being erased. The shell weighs heavily in my chest, but I have to shake it off.

Getting up, my brain forces itself to register today as a normal day. Pretending is what I'm getting used to. It's what I have to do in order to survive this ghost town.

Hours tick by slowly, draining my physical body. I haven't been outside yet. I've stuck to staying inside and watching movies. It's odd how this world works. There are no people, yet movies and shows still exist. It's almost as if everyone died rather than being burned completely out of reality.

Soon, though, I get bored. I reminisce to the first time. I refuse to go back to the stadium. I don't understand what he was... why was it doing this to us? Where did it come from?

I slip on my shoes, heading out of the door. My breath escapes me once I do. The sky is falling. Pieces are missing from the land, voids of black filling it in instead. Breakage continues to happen even as I stand here. It crumbles away, a cracking sound echoing.

A laugh then rumbles. It's mine, yet my vocal cords remain unused. It's an imitation of mine, yet not sounding remotely human.

A crackling buzz of lightning zaps against the street, a figure growing from the electricity. It was almost as if it was glitching. The growing resembled how a train of photos connect: not every second captured.

"Hi again, Seo Changbin," it chuckles, taking a step forward. I've been waiting for you. Still clutching onto that false family of yours, I see."

"What do you want?" I demand loudly, not backing down from this fight.

"I want to show you your future."

"I'm not afraid of you. We aren't afraid of you. This is not my future. You're feeding off of the fear, yet there is no fear to give. You're desperately hanging onto us, but we've figured you out. You're done."

"Ah, yes. The fear talk. Yada, yada, yada. You think there aren't people afraid of me. You haven't been told the truth. You haven't looked into their dreams. I haunt them everywhere. You're all falsely admitting to each other. I know better. The fear you radiate is... delicious. And if you aren't the one fearing me, I'll change that."

"Do it."

A growl sounds in my ear and before I know it, my airways are being cut off. My feet are no longer touching the ground. It's hand is wrapped around my throat, wanting to extract the fear from me.

Too bad I don't fear death.

I grab it, digging my nails into it's treacherous and disgusting skin. "I'm not... afraid... of you!" I lift my legs, kicking its torso.

And the fight begins.