𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐞𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐞 || 𝐣𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐯𝐚𝐬𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐳

trigger warning : mentions of murder & suicide.

authors note: if trauma / and or any of the trigger warnings listed above bother you in anyway, i advise against reading this chapter and checking out another one of my jared x readers :) enjoy my loves <3

you were sleeping in bed when your phone started buzzing off the roof on the bedside table next to you. you groan as you see it's your boss calling you, already knowing it meant you had to go into work.

"hello?" you answer.

"hey (l/n), i'm sorry to do this to you at such a late hour, but we have an 828 murder and what we think might end in a murder-suicide. i need you and detective vasquez to come down to the precinct and head out there. all the information you need is waiting on your desk." your boss directs to you over the phone.

"yes ma'am." you replied, already standing up and putting on your work uniform.

"thank you, have a great night." your boss replies before hanging up the phone.

you walk out of your room, fishing your car keys out of the bowl by the front door, and heading out. it's still pitch black out, the only thing illuminating the streets being the lights lining the sidewalks.

you unlock your car and start to head over. the streets are practically empty at this time.

3:47 am.

that's the time your car clock reads. this is gonna be a long night, you think to yourself.

as you pull into the precinct, you already see your partner jared's car parked in his designated spot.

as you unlock the door and walk inside, you turn the corner to your desk, finding jared already in a desk chair, reviewing the case file with two cups of coffee on the desk, patiently waiting for you.

"hey (n/n), you ready to head on out? i can read you the details of the case file in the car." he says, standing up, checking his weapon is in his holster.

"yeah, sounds good to me." you say as you reach over and grab your coffee, with him grabbing the case file.

you toss him the keys to the car as you follow him out the door. as you open the passenger seat to the car, jared starts to talk about the case file.

"it's an 828 couple. we got a call from a neighbor hearing an agressive argument, a gunshot, and screams from the wife. they believe the husband may be suicidal." he says, pressing his foot on the gas.

"i have a feeling we're gonna need more than just one coffee tonight." you joke towards him. "way more than one." he jokes in return.

as the two of you pull in to the house address stated in the case file, you two see the husband pacing the living room staring at the floor, a gun clearly in hand.

"y/n, stay behind me, please." jared says as he placed a hand on his holster, ducking slightly. the two of you come up on the door, yelling "NYPD. OPEN UP."

the door knob starts to turn and jared grabs your hand and yanks you back behind him. almost immediately, there's a gun pointed at both of you.

"drop your weapon." jared says sternly, pointing his weapon back. "i can't do it anymore, the voices, the visions." you knew exactly what he was talking about, after hearing the stories micheala had told you first-hand.

"sir, please. drop your weapon." you said from behind jared. seconds later, the man turned the weapon on himself. just like that, he was gone.

you let out a scream immediately. before anything else, jared turned around and just wrapped you in a hug. suicides had always been your least favorite calls, they never got any easier, watching someone take their own life right in front of you.

"it's okay, don't think about it. it's okay." he reassured as tears fell down your face. you had  just watched a man take his own life and you didn't do anything to prevent it.

you cleaned up your tears quickly and just said, "it's all part of the job" in the most blank tone you could muster up.

you started walking into the house, stepping around the man, and immediately spotting his wife on the floor in the living room.

jared pulls out his radio and says, "two deaths reported, one homicide and one suicide, i need a team out here ASAP."

you just stand there, and have to pretend to be practically emotionless. you looked around for any other evidence, but there was none. it was as simple as it seemed.

the man took out his wife, and then himself, due to the voices the two of them were facing from the callings. you had recognized the couple from the news. micheala and ben had tried to help them with a calling but to no avail.

you and jared walked outside and sat in the squad car as you waited for a team. immeadiately your met with his hand in yours.

"you should've never had to see that. i know how much it messes with you." he says, rubbing a thumb over the back of your hand. you let out a shaky breath and smile over at your partner.

only a few seconds after, you're leaning over the middle console to press a kiss on his lips. he quickly replies, pressing his back to yours, moving his hand to the back of your neck.

breaking the kiss, you reply, "crazy how these situations bring people together, isn't it?" you said, slightly smiling, trying to make the best out of the situation.

the two of you had been through almost everything you could possibly think of. you had handled and processed it all together. he had became your go-to person with nearly everything happening in your life. it truly shocked you how much working for the NYPD had changed your life.

"yeah, it really is." he replies, before pressing his lips to yours once more.