Chapter 29: April 1922 Continuation

Start from the beginning

Robert speaks with a sigh. "I can see I'll spend the rest of my life paying by instalments." He sits down on the chair next to where Emma sits.

"Papa, you always say we're not the owners of Downton, but the caretakers. Very well. Let's take care of it." Mary says as she makes her cup. It is then Rose comes walking in, going over to the table. Robert and Tom stand in greeting while Billy smiles slightly at her.

"Aunt Rosamund said Tom and I can stay with her," Mary says as she sits down next to Cora. "You should come, Emma."

Emma looks at her in surprise. "Me? Why?"

"You don't seem yourself this morning dear." Cora says, smiling kindly.

Emma swallows uncomfortably as she can see her husband's questioning look in the corner of her eye. She shakes her head. "Oh no, I'm fine."

"So, you'll come?" Mary asks.

Emma looks at Tom, who smiles at her. Emma knows that it's not his ideal idea of an outing but it would be nice for them to go out somewhere. "If it means that much to you, but only if Billy comes."

"Of course he will." Billy smiles fondly at his sister-in-law but doesn't express his disagreement. "You don't mind keeping an eye on the children, do you, Mama?"

Cora smiles. She'd like nothing better.

Rose turns from the table. "Is this London? When are you going? Can I come?" She questions enthusiastically.

Emma feels slightly amused at the girl's behaviour. She isn't very subtle in trying to meet up with Sir John Bullock. But Emma enjoys the light the young girl brings to the house.

"Tomorrow, and I don't see why not." Mary replies.

"Nor me." Cora adds. Pleased, Rose turns back to the table. Cora turns to Mary. "Will you meet Tony Gillingham while you're there?" Real subtle.

"I don't think so. Why should I?" Mary comments casually.

"Just thought you might."

Mary is annoyed. "Don't be transparent, Mama. It doesn't suit you."

Emma looks up when the door opens and sees Billy leave the room without a word to anyone. Emma frowns in worry.

——

That evening, Emma catches Anna hurriedly leaving Mary's room. The lady's maid is looking worse for wear and Emma doesn't mean just the bruises.

"Anna? How are you doing?" Emma asks as she catches up with her as they walk along the landing.

Anna smiles tightly at her. "Fine. I'm fine, Emma. Thank you." She answers shortly.

Emma is surprised by her response but doesn't let it deter her. "It's just if you want to talk about it? You shouldn't carry it on—"

"I said I'm fine." Anna cuts her off, picking up her pace. "There's much to do."

Emma stops and stares after her with great sadness. What is she to do?

——

At dinner that night, Emma becomes even more concerned for Billy as she watches him sit in his seat looking despondent, not joining in the conversation from where she sits on the opposite side of Tom to him. Robert and Isobel are discussing the idea of setting up an out-clinic at the Hospital, Tom had asked a simple question and it had snowballed from there.

"Aren't we encouraging a nation of hypochondriacs, if they rush to a doctor at every twinge?" Robert asks Isobel as Jimmy serves him.

"On the contrary. I think it encourages people to look after themselves and not become a burden." Isobel argues from where she sits between Emma and Cora.