Chapter 48

"The symptoms of Qi Deviation can vary depending on the individual, but the most common symptoms are bleeding from the mouth and eyes."

She had been thinking about that phrase all day. I mean, sure, it was from a well-renowned book on Qi Deviation, and lots of other books tend to say the same thing.

But surely she would know if she had just Qi Deviated!

It was just old blood from a previous injury. That was it, nothing more to add.

There was absolutely no point in dwelling on it.

Besides, she was alive, so. Even if it was Qi Deviation, she had survived it, so there was no need to think about it any longer.

So what, she spat blood. Big deal! People spit blood all the time in dramas anyway!

It wasn't the first time she had broken, and it wouldn't be the last. But she would pick up the pieces and persevere.

'I just hope that the next time I break, I'll still be able to pick up the pieces and glue them back together. So that way I can still be with you.' She thought as she came towards Ling'an village.

She knew the place quite well as it was just outside YueYang. It was a small village of about fifty or so little houses scattered along the riverbank.

Most of the people living there came from the western regions, and some even from as far as Mongolia. Most of them were Oirats, so it was a pretty tight knit community.

She had done business with the villagers a few times in the past.

They were all extremely welcoming and accepting of the way she looked. One of the ladies even tried to arrange a marriage with her eldest son.

But that fell through.

Obviously.

The village made most of its money from fishing and its unique and exotic dishes. The fried beef pockets and milk tea were to die for. They also specialised in things like textiles and cattle rearing.

But right now, it was the complete opposite of what it usually was.

The streets were deserted like a football stadium hours after the first kick-off of the season. There were only traces of what once was a bustling atmosphere.

As she stalked the empty houses and stalls, it reminded her of how petrol stations feel at three am. Like it was some alternate reality where time is warped and nothing is what it seems.

Just beyond here was home.

It sounded easy enough.

But, she would have to find a way to get across the river.

"No matter how awesome I am, I can't walk on water." She sighed.

"... At least not yet."

She had one of two options, find a way to cross the river here.

Or risk crossing the ZhuZi bridge, which connects YueYang with the other side of the river.Both were risky. But she needed to get home. Right now, it didn't matter how she got there.

She had even considered swimming across.

But this part of the river was at least a mile and a half in width. And was known for being deep with unpredictable currents.

To make matters worse, all the boats were gone as well.

It seemed like her only choice was ZhuZi Bridge.

But that was twelve miles upriver, and it was almost night.

And as self-destructive as TaiFeng was, she wasn't about to travel at night in a war zone.