Chapter 44

Letting the sword drop to the ground with a thud, she let the fatigue and pain sink in.

Looking wearily over to her siblings, she let out a shaky breath.

"I... I think I'd like to go now."She tiredly smiled at them.

Nodding in understanding, the four of them left, not speaking a single word as they passed the bodies of numerous Wens on their way out.

The atmosphere was heavy, and the three were filled with questions. But they refrained from asking anything, for now at least.

But it didn't make this feeling go away.

They had all thought she was dead for the best of two months, and all of a sudden, she was back. Don't get them wrong, they were over the moon to see her alive.

But what Wen Chao said made them all wonder.

"There's no way of surviving where she is. I wouldn't be surprised if her bones have already turned to dust."

Just what did he mean by that? Where was she?

And they were just too many questions about this weird power she had obtained.

No, not weird. To Wangji and Wuxian, the mechanics of it weren't that complicated.

It was frightening.
She was always a force to be reckoned with, but this didn't feel right. No matter how strong she was, they were never once scared of her. Not like this.

As the three walked back through the forest, TaiFeng finally broke the awkward silence.

"What happened after I... left?" She whispered.

"Full-scale warfare." Wangji replied.

"With you gone, things kind of went crazy." Jiang Cheng huffed, trying to ease the tension a little.

"After you left, everyone got together and formed the"

"Sunshot Campaign?"  She interjected.

"Yeah, that," Wuxian replied.
"So far it... hasn't been great."

"I heard that YueYang is doing alright."She said, further supporting the lie that she was just in hiding, instead of the Burial Mounds.

"Guangyao took over after you were gone. Although spirits are pretty low." He sighed. 

'Well, at least some things are looking up.'

"What about Lan Huan?" She said while they raised an eyebrow at the way she addressed him but quickly brushed it off.

"He'll feel a lot better once he sees that your alive." Wuxian smiled.

"H-he's here? Now? As in he's at the location we're currently heading to?" She asked, nervously looking down at herself.

"Why do you say it like it's a bad thing?" Jiang Cheng questioned.

"It's not, it's just.." She faded out, looking at her bloody hands, and dishevelled appearance.

She didn't want anyone to see her like this, least of all Xichen.

Looking on in understanding, Wuxian rummaged through his Qiankun pouch. Getting out a small handkerchief, he passed it to her.

Smiling at his thoughtfulness, she gracefully received it. Wiping the blood from her hands and face, she felt a little better, but still nervous.

It was already extremely dark, so Jiang Cheng took out a lantern from his Qiankun pouch. Not that TaiFeng even needed it anymore.