CHAPTER 5 - INTERNMENT

Y/N sat on the table, bowl of stew in hand. "Hey, son." The old man greeted, his shirt help by suspenders. "How are you?"

Y/N wiped his mouth and placed the bowl to his side. "Alright, what's up?"

Hershel sat beside the young man and cleared his throat. "With you on the council, I thought I needed to talk with you. With Sasha and Glenn ill and... Carol gone, you're one of the last remaining council members available." Hershel started, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Stay loyal to those by your side, they'll get you over the line, son. Now, go on guard duty, I have to aid those sick."

Hershel stood up and Y/N called out, "Hershel! Thank you."

Hershel smiled at the man and walked back into the cornered off cell block. Y/N finished his meal and washed it up, insisting on helping with the washing up which took a dozen minutes or so.

Afterwards, he spotted Rick and Maggie fortifying the gate and decided to help. "Rick, Maggie." He greeted, picking up a hammer on the floor.

"Y/N." Rick greeted back, nudging the young adult. "Give us a hand." He walked over to the pickup truck parked on the side. "I just spoke to Hershel. He looks good, all things considered."

"If Carl were sick, would you be up there with him?" Maggie asked, helping them lift up a wooden beam.

"If I thought I could help."

The conversation stops as they hammer away at the beam, resting it against the fence. "I've actually got to tell you both something since you're both on the council. Carol killed David and Karen, I couldn't have her here knowing Tyreese would find out and kill her."

Y/N nodded in understandment and Maggie did the same. "I understand. It'll cause more problems on the inside."

Rick sniffed and took of his gloves. "That Lucy girl tell you anything?"

"Only a little. Her answers are a tad bland, usually just one worded."

Suddenly, a gunshot rang out, stopping the conversation. "What the fuck?" Y/N muttered.

"Go. You two, go! I'll handle the fence!"

Y/N immediately sprinted off towards the sectioned off cell block, hammer in hand.

He sprinted into the cell block, Maggie beside him. "Dad! Open the door!" She shouted, slamming her fists onto the glass.

"Out the way!" Y/N shouted back, slamming the hammer on the glass. "Come on!" He slammed it again, the glass finally shattered.

They entered the cell area, half a dozen of walkers roamed. Y/N twirled the hammer in his hand and whacked one walker with it. Maggie aided with her hatchet, the pair took out the walkers.

Y/N grunted and sighed in exhaustion, Hershel stood on the platform above them, a walker followed him. "Dad!" Maggie shouted out.

A couple of shotgun bullets went off and he went downstairs. "Glenn! Help me with Glenn!"

He ran past the pair towards Glenn's cell, kneeling next to him. "He's turning blue!" Maggie screamed.

Hershel put the plastic pipe down Glenn's airway, attaching the air bag to the pipe. "Relax, son. Y/N, hold down his arms."

Y/N followed the order as Glenn passed out, alive.

♤♤♤

The steaming water trinkled down his torso as he thoroughly rinsed his hair that was soaked in walker blood

The steaming water trinkled down his torso as he thoroughly rinsed his hair that was soaked in walker blood. He lathered the soap onto his body and placed it back on the side, washing his torso.

The Governor.

As much as Y/N hid it, tried to forget it, he could never forgive himself.

He betrayed the man who saved him.

Protected him.

He knew he was still out there.

Hiding. Thriving. Dying.

It didn't matter.

The regret and guilt was overwhelming for the young adult. Y/N sighed and rubbed his face and exited the shower, towel wrapped around his body.

He got dressed into new clothes provided by Rick and exited the cell block.

Y/N spotted Daryl leaning against the wall and he made his way towards him. "Daryl." He greeted, standing beside him.

"Kid." He mumbled, fumbling in his pockets and pulled out a cigarette packet. "Ever had one?"

"Once. Merle gave it to me, but yeah, sure."

Daryl handed him the cigarette and Y/N put it in his mouth, letting it hang off his lower lip. He lit it and put the lighter in his back pocket.

"Rick's a bastard, man. Carol - she did what she thought was right. Ain't deserving what happened to her."

Y/N sighed and looked up to Daryl. "I understand it. I know you two were close but she would've had her brains bashed in by Ty."

"I would've killed him if he touched her. Same if anyone touched you, kid."

Y/N smiled, reminiscing of the time the pair first met.

It was the night Y/N fled with Merle and the group, the night where he saved Daryl.

He had enough of the Woodbury system, knowing The Governor had lost it.

Y/N disarmed Martinez and fired upon the walkers and then the armed men.

The second time he killed another human being. "Thank you, for saving me, bro."

"Of course."

Y/N turned his head and saw Lucy sitting on the stairs opposite the cell block. "I'll be talking later, man."

He dropped the cigarette and stomped on it, walking towards the girl. "Alright?" He asked, sitting beside her so their knees are barely grazing.

"I'm okay. You? I heard about the cell block incident."

"Yeah, we cleared it. Almost lost... a couple of people."

Y/N stood up and rubbed his eyes. "I was thinking... if you wanted to go up the watchtower in a couple of nights. Perhaps even tonight."

Lucy smiled and stood up opposite Y/N. "I know they asked you to get close to me. I'm not a total idiot." She said, grazing her hand on his chest. "Goodbye."

"Touché..."

Y/N sat at the table, bowl of stew opposite him. Maggie sat beside him, poking at her food. "Thank you for helping with Glenn."

Y/N weakly smiled and nodded. "No worries. He's my friend, so are you."

Maggie placed a hand on his shoulder and embraced him. "Love ya, kid. You're apart of this family now."

"Thanks."