Chapter 44 - Making Amends

"You know you overthink a lot."

"Leave me alone."

"No. Not until you know what actually happened." Vinchenzo said as he sat on the sunbed I was currently lying on.

"Just leave. I don't want to hear your excuses." I groaned and covered my face with my hands.

"The child isn't mine. He is Sergio's child." He said and I sat up feeling confused.

"Who is Sergio?" I asked.

"My elder brother."

"You have never mentioned anything about him before. Neither has Francesca."

"We had a falling out. A big one." He said as he fiddled with his hands and then glanced at me.

"Go on." I urged.

"Sergio always wanted to come to America and expand the operations of the Vitali family here. Father never agreed with him and always kept him by his side as nothing but his fourth in command. Keep in mind that Sergio was desperate to be the leader and well... being the fourth in command didn't sit well with him. He is only a year older than me and so when I turned eighteen, I got father's blessing to move here and expand. The thing is, I never knew that what I was doing was Sergio's dream. He hadn't told anyone."

"So, you fell out because you moved to America and he didn't?" I asked.

Vinchenzo shook his head, "Sergio claims that I stole his dream. He claims that I am father's favourite and that he does everything I tell him to. He is holding the fact that I am my own leader here while he is stuck under my father against me and well none of us reached out to one another thereby effectively ending our relationship and our communication."

"But was does Claudia have to do with all of this?"

"Claudia was Sergio's one true love. They met in high school, started dating and a few years after they had both graduated university Sergio proposed and they were supposed to get married."

"And they didn't?"

Vinchenzo shook his head, "No. Claudia found out about what kind of business my brother was involved in about three or four weeks before they were supposed to be wed. She fled and I left Italy and haven't heard anything from her or about her since."

"Was she pregnant when she ran?"

Vinchenzo shrugged his shoulder and swiped his jet-black hair out of his eyes, "That my love, I don't have the answer to."

"So then how can you be so sure about the fact that Hayden is Sergio's child? What if she is here to take money?"

"Well, his age does align with the timeline and besides the child resembles Sergio a lot. Especially when he was a child."

"Are you going to do a paternity test to be sure?"

"No. That is disrespectful to Claudia."

"And why do you care so much about her feelings?" I said skeptically but at that moment he got a call.

Vinchenzo looked at the caller ID before abruptly standing up and answering the phone in Italian. Vinchenzo seemed frustrated as he yelled into the phone. I chose to do nothing except lie in the bed and look at the clear water in the pool as the sun poured its strength into burning me.

"Red, urgent issues need my attention. I have to go now."

"Alright, be careful," I said as I walked over to him and placed a soft kiss on his cheek.

"Always." He said with a smirk and walked towards the garage whilst I went back into the mansion and decided to check on Sienna.

When I reached the infirmary, I found her lying on Dante's lap whilst he read a novel to her. They were both bonding and I didn't want to destroy such an intimate moment so I decided to walk away and not speak. As I walked down the corridor that led to my room, my phone rang. It was my father calling me.

"Munchkin!" he greeted happily, "I am so happy you are safe."

"Thanks dad."

"I was so worried about you. I couldn't sleep when Vinchenzo came here looking for you."

"Don't worry, dad. I am fine."

"I know sweetheart and I am glad." He said and my heart melted a bit.

I felt like sometimes I was a bit harsh on my father and I hated that. He deserved so much better. I vowed to be a better daughter and to call as well as visit him more enough.

"How is Arizona?" I asked and he sighed.

"It is so warm here! I am basically in shorts and a tank top all day every day."

"You love that type of weather though," I said recalling a tropical trip we had taken as a family when I was way younger.

"I love it. That is why I insisted on moving here and not to some place like Utah."

"A good decision on your behalf." I said as I walked into my room and sat on the chair near my window.

"Indeed. Are you still coming down with that boyfriend of yours?"

"Yes, next week, right?"

"Yep!" he said happily, "Don't pack any sweaters or anything. Just bring your summer clothes."

I giggled, "I am wearing warm clothes right now and it will most definitely feel weird to pack summer items."

"You better otherwise you'll melt into a puddle."

I laughed before we both said our 'I love yous' and ended the call. I walked over to my closet and looked at where I kept my summer clothes and began sifting through them trying to determine what to bring. I decided to ask Vinchenzo how long he waited to stay so I sent him a text. He didn't respond and left me on seen.

"Going on vacation?" A voice asked and I jumped with fright.

"Claudia? You scared me."

"Sorry, I was wandering and ended up finding you here."

"You were wandering around the compound?"

"Yes." She nodded, "Hayden's napping in the room Vinchenzo lent us. He is so kind." She said dreamily.

"Uhh, that is great," I said before I checked my phone. No response.

"I am sorry if you felt insecure with me being around here. I don't intend on taking your man."

"Firstly, I was not insecure about you being here and I don't really care. Secondly, you couldn't take my man, he is loyal to me." I said.

"I didn't mean for it to come across as rude." She said. I sensed she was lying. Why would she come back after all these years, especially when she knew that Sergio was based in Italy?

"Don't worry," I said as I gave her a fake smile and continued rummaging through my neatly stowed away clothing.

Hey Reddies!

Is anyone a little suspicious of Claudia and her reasons?

At least we know that Vinchenzo is in the clear for now :)

If you liked this chapter consider giving it a vote and make sure to leave all your thoughts in the comment section! I will respond to them all :)

XOXO
Perla

P.S. next update: 30 November 2022