Chapter 41 - Bittersweet Moments

When I opened my eyes, I found myself in my room at the Vitali compound. I gently sat up and found Vinchenzo scribbling on a document a few feet away from the bed. He looked up the minute I moved to stand up.

"Good morning, Red. How did you sleep?"

I yawned, "Good actually. I haven't slept like that for a while."

Vinchenzo frowned and stood up, "Do you want anything to eat?"

"Breakfast does sound lovely."

"Okay, wait here. I will go and get it for you." He said before he rushed out of the room, and I looked in the direction he had gone feeling confused. Why was he being over-the-top kind?

I shook my head as I slipped on my slippers and headed to my bathroom. It hadn't changed since the last time I had been here. The different thing was that all of soaps were brand new and unused. The towels were also fresh and the window was left slightly open, allowing the cool breeze to waft in and hit me in the face. I sighed as I walked over to the basin and splashed some water on my face so that I would wake up and be fully alert. I then grabbed my mint toothpaste, squeezed a pea size amount on my toothbrush before I started brushing my teeth.

"That wasn't two minutes, Red." Vinchenzo commented, and I jumped, "What's wrong?" He asked, barging into the bathroom.

"You just scared me." I said as I rinsed my toothbrush and put it away.

"I am sorry." He said.

Did Vinchenzo Vitali just apologise to me? I was shocked by that and turned to look at him.

"It's fine." I said eyeing him suspiciously, "I am just a little jumpy these days."

"That's totally normal you know. I don't blame you for that." He said as he grabbed my red hairbrush, "Can I brush your hair for you?" He asked me and I nodded.

I walked out of the bathroom and sat on my vanity chair with Vinchenzo on my heel. I looked at the tray of delicious food that Vinchenzo had gotten me, there were some waffles topped with strawberries and whipped cream with chocolate drizzled over all of it. There was also a tall glass of orange juice sitting near it.

"This looks so good." I said moaning as I took a bite, "I haven't had anything like this in so long."

"Of course." He said as he loosened my hair from the bun it was in and began to gently run the brush through my thick red hair.

"How long were we gone for?" I asked.

"Thirty-six days." He said with a big frown.

"It felt longer," I commented but Vinchenzo said nothing. He focused all of his energy on gently brushing my hair.

"I hated that." He said when he was done and placed the brush on the table in front of me. I looked at his reflection in the mirror and saw that he was deep in thought.

"Brushing my hair?" I asked feeling confused.

Vinchenzo shook his head, "No. When you were gone. I hadn't felt that turmoil in so long. I searched the entirety of America in hopes of finding you. I raided so many clubs and hidden compounds in the hopes of you. Those days were the worst. I felt like I was drowning, as if there was no air. I didn't know for how much longer I could stay sane. I was losing my mind."

"I thought you had given up on finding us. I thought you didn't care. Sienna and I thought you had abandoned us." I whispered as I turned around to look at his beautiful green eyes which were slightly puffy.

"Never. Not a second went by where I did not think about you. The most disturbing thoughts clouded my imagination and haunted my dreams. All I saw when closing my eyes was your face." He said as he placed a gently hand and caressed my cheek before he placed a soft kiss on my forehead.

"I failed you. Please forgive me." He whispered as he touched his forehead to mine.

"It wasn't your fault. You couldn't have known that Callum was going to kidnap me. I have nothing to forgive you for."

"I could have given you more guards." He said.

I shook my head, "No. The experience was traumatising, and I will need some time to heal from it, but you didn't know. You can't punish yourself for something like that. We do what we think is best with the information that we have."

Vinchenzo closed his eyes before he slowly opened them again, "Tell me how to make it up to you, Red? I will do anything."

I gave him a sad smile, "I don't need anything from you. I only need your support and unconditional love."

"Then you shall have it. Whatever you need, I will give it to you."

"What I need is for you to please go back to your original personality. I am feeling a little creeped out." I whispered but Vinchenzo shook his head.

"Not with you. I hate that man. He let you get kidnapped but this new one will try his best to make sure that you will never have a scratch on your skin. I will assign at least five of my most loyal and high-skilled men to accompany you everywhere you go."

"I value my freedom." I told him, "That's why I refused an entourage of guards in the first place."

"I can't risk losing you."

I sighed, "Maybe one?"

"Five." He said.

"Two?"

"Four." He said but I shook my head.

"Meet me in the middle Vinchenzo. Three should be a good compromise."

Vinchenzo huffed but then nodded his head, "Three is better than one."

I nodded my head in agreement.

"I would like to see Sienna please."

Vinchenzo nodded, "She is in the infirmary with Danté, but before you go I have one more request."

"What is it?" I asked him as I pulled my hair into a bun and looked at him.

"Will you come accompany me to visit your father in Arizona? He wants to see you."

"You told him!" I gasped and Vinchenzo nodded.

"Why!" I cried out, "He'll be so worried about me."

"I am not hiding something like that from your father."

"That's fair. When?" I asked.

"Over Christmas." He said and I nodded.

He was right. It was nearly my favourite season of the whole year.

"Alright. Soon?"

"Well, Christmas is next week so yes." He said awkwardly scratching his neck.

"Alright." I said and walked to go see how Sienna was doing.

Hey Reddies!

How do you think Dante will take the news when Sienna tells him? 

Also, do you guys want an update on Friday or Sunday? Comment an F for Friday and an S for Sunday. Majority wins ;)

XOXO
Perla

P.S. next update will be determined by your comments!