Chapter 1 - Aftermath

If you know anything about me, you'll know that the past one and a half years of my life haven't been the easiest. I've been stabbed in the back and betrayed, I have fallen in love with a man who I know is toxic for me, I have made new friends and alliances but some of those friends were not who they said they were. There have been people who stuck with me throughout this all, people like Tristiaan and Sienna. Those two were my best friends and not seeing them made me feel upset but I knew I could no longer have anything to do with him... 

All Tristiaan and Sienna did were remind me of him... Yes, I was calling him, "him" now. People knew better than to bring up his name anywhere around me.

"Are you even paying attention?" Director Lee snapped. Of course, I had been relatively out of it but I was suffering from a terrible heart break.

"Yes, yes. I am so sorry."

"As Luciano was telling us, you can apparently provide evidence to bring down three of the main and most important mafia families here. Which families did you list?" Director Lee asked me, as he clicked his pen rapidly.

"Stalias, Domano... and Vitali." I said.

"Are you certain?" Director Lee asked, "The Vitali family is the best and cover their tracks well. We don't even know who the leader is."

Luciano snorted at this which caused Director Lee to raise his eyebrows at him, almost as though he was suspicious of him.

"I am sure. I have been to the compound several times. I promise that I will not fail you. I'm sure we can take them all down." I said as I looked him straight in the eye. 

Director Lee sighed, "I've heard those types of promises before, Agent Dawson yet you could not deliver. Remember that I can fire you whenever I please and the department can't say-"

"Complications occurred." I cut him off.

"You mean your accident? I still want to know the full story. You need to log it in as well. We almost marked you as missing before you randomly turned up."

"I got hit by a car. It broke a lot of my bones and I was hospitalised for a few months." I said trying to be nonchalant about the whole ordeal.

"Are you sure that you are fit to even be doing this mission?"

"It was last year. I've healed and the doctors were very good at ensuring and seeing to the fact that I would not lose any motor function. They forced me into therapy." I said.

"Fine. However Agebt DuVitto, you must abort the mission if she isn't well enough. We can't afford to lose another one of us to them. We also can't blow our cover or they will come for us." He said with a scowl.

"I'll look after her well. In the meantime, we need to create a full-proof plan of how we will be able to get evidence. The court will need heaps of it and we would have to have their consent too."

"Consent won't be necessary. This is a serious crime to humanity."

"We'll still try to get consent. That way the high court can't decline our case. It will be more definitive then." I said.

"Try." Director Lee said with a sigh, "It won't bother them too much as long as the evidence is real and authentic."

"Well, that makes it easier. I don't know how we would have gotten evidence with their consent."

"That's why we don't need it. They're smart. Us, as FBI agents, don't need consent to get it." Luciano said as he looked at me.

"I know - I want to increase the chances of them getting caught and jailed for years."

"Agent Dawson, we're looking at a life sentence or even the death penalty."

"Iñigo Stalias is the one who does deserve the death penalty," Luciano said, "He has gone against the law in so many ways."

I nodded my head, "Yes. He's the worst of them all."

Director Lee looked at the both of us, "Is there something you aren't telling me?"

"Agent DuVitto, tell him."

Luciano explained what had happened to us in the Stalias base. I watched as Director Lee's face went from concerned to sad and then fuming with anger and rage. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. I haed recalling the moments.

"You didn't think telling me and reporting this was a good idea? We could have easily jailed them." Director Lee insisted as shook his head upset.

"They destroyed all of our evidence, there's no proof."

"You being battered and bruised is pretty solid evidence," He said referring to me before he gestured towards Luciano, "You also had another eye witness. You would have gone into the witness protection program and then the Stalias leader would have been taken into custody. Both of you are fools." He said angrily.

"I don't think so Director." Luciano said.

"How so?"

"Stalias is an intelligent man. He has contacts in the FBI and that's how he found out that we were undercover." Luciano explained, "We have to approach these families with an intelligent and well thought out strategy. We can't make any mistakes otherwise we're all dead."

"I agree." I said nodding to what Luciano had said, "Many of them have intel on to what we are doing. We'll have to be careful with who we trust and what we say about our new mission." 

"Fine. This mission will be between the three of us only. No one else will know. You two will be responsible for keeping that secret." Director Lee said, finally agreeing to what Luciano had stated.

"Of course," I said nodding my head.

"May I stress that you share it with no one. Both of you are dismissed." Director Lee said before he left the board room and Luciano and I followed at his heel.

"Want to get some coffee? I am so drained." I suggested.

"I don't see why not. I just have to fetch some groceries from the store for my sister." Luciano said as he checked his phone.

"I never knew you had a sister," I said looking at him. I was rather interested in this. Luciano and I had become rather close with one another, yet, I still didn't know too much about him.

"I have three actually. I am the oldest and the only boy. I was going to have a younger brother but fate didn't will it thus."

"What do you mean?" I asked, studying his chiselled facial features.

"Miscarriage," He grimaced, "Or a forced abortion I should actually say. When we were younger we barely got by. Many nights we fell asleep starving and hungry. My father was very good at the business of losing money when it came to gambling - he wasted all the scraps we managed to put together." Luciano explained before he turned to me and smiled, "I am boring you, aren't I?"

I shook my head, "No. Please go on."

He shrugged his shoulders, "My father was a... he was a jerk. As if forcing my mother to abort her second child wasn't enough he went on to join a small street gang and eventually got killed during a huge gang fight."

"I am so sorry," I whispered as I monitored his facial expressions further.

He shook his head, "It is okay. We were sad that he was gone but at the same time, it was just better. We were able to get more food and eventually move into a bigger house."

I nodded, "I understand."

He shook his head before looking at me, "Do you want to accompany me on my grocery shopping trip?"

I shrugged, "Sure. I have nothing to better to do anyway."

"Great!"

Hey Reddies!

I am so excited that the first chapter of RB is now live! Make sure you leave your thoughts in my comment section and let me know how you found it!

Lots of Love,

Perla xx