Chapter 22 - Choices

Life can sometimes be cruel. Life can sometimes be amazing. It just depends on which phase you're at. You're either in a good phase or in a bad one. I remembered pondering for many days why humans had to feel sadness and other negative emotions. I'd wished that humans could only be happy and joyful all the time. At that time, I had always wanted to become a doctor so that I could rewire humans and make them feel only happiness but my mother enlightened me that it wasn't possible. I was just a silly girl, with silly dreams.

I thought back to the confrontation that Vranchesco and Vinchenzo had. It had been defeated and I thought about how Vinchenzo had robbed his choice. I knew that Dante had whisked Vranchesco away from the office and down to the torture rooms for them to get some answers out of him that were useful, only they knew nothing. I knew this because Dante had vented his rage to Sienna and she in turn had passed the information on to me in the ladies' lounge. I had then spent the night tossing and turning thinking about why Vranchesco was going through all tthis trouble just for a father who abandoned him.

"Did seeing him bother you?" Tristiaan asked as he came and sat next to me.

"I feel like I am still in shock," I noted and looked away from him. 

"Don should have made you leave." 

"No. I wanted to stay. I insisted. Vinchenzo gave me the choice."

"I see." He agreed as he took off his shoes and socks before dipping his feet in the pool.

"You're avoiding me."

"No, I've just been bus-"

"Don't lie!" I protested instantly.

"I have." He said looking at the distance before looking back at me, "You know you've been ignoring us, Ari. You neglect us and just expect us to be here whenever you need us. It's unfair, to me and unfair to Sienna too. If you want us to remain good friends with each other then you need to put the effort in too, this can't be a one-sided thing anymore."

"I'm sorry." I whispered, "I didn't know you felt like this."

"I understand you've been under tons of stress and pressure juggling between your agent life and your mafia life but you can't neglect people and expect them to be there for you when you need them and then throw them out when you're faring well."

"I am so sorry, I didn't realize I was doing this. I am so sorry, Tristiaan." I told him.

I felt awful. He was correct. I was a terrible friend.

"You're forgiven."

"Thank you!" I grinned happily, "I will make it up to you and be a better friend. I promise you that." I told him and he nodded.

"Well I best be going," He said checking his golden Rolex, "Don has a meeting with us."

"Alright." 

And just like that Tristiaan left me alone to sunbathe and scheme.

As much as it may seem like it, I haven't forgotten my revenge. The hell that I was going to shower on every single mafia group in existence brought a smile to my face. It was harsh, but this was reality. Think about how many people would be able to run free in the future, think about how many people would find comfort in happy things and not in items that destroy their future and turn their life into hell. 

I now realised that in order to feel happiness of any sort, one would need to feel sadness, they would need to feel despair in order to differentiate between what was happiness and what was sadness. In the past few years of my life, I had been robbed of so many happy experiences. My mother and sister would never attend my wedding, my sister would never ever pursue her dreams and would never get married either. Experiences like these were not only robbed from me and my family but from other people in the world too.