Chapter 3 - An Eye For An Eye

"So what is the big news? I am dying to know." I grinned as I sipped my red wine.

My parents and I were sitting in a velvet red booth at Bellas. It was indeed the exact same restaurant that he who shall not be named loved to visit. They did indeed serve some of the best and delicious Italian foods. They were renowned for their good quality and being a five-star diner with a heavily expensive menu.

"I think you will need some wine for this one." My dad said as he took a sip of his glass.

I sighed and shook my head with a small smile, "Dad, nothing comes as a shock to me anymore."

"This one might." Claire chipped in which made me raise an eyebrow in suspicion.

"What is it?" I asked, "This suspense is driving me crazy."

My dad sighed and sat bak in his chair, "There are two things. The first one being Claire and I have chosen to relocate to Arizona. Our move should be over at the end of this month." He told me and studied my face intently.

"What is the second?" I asked dryly.

Don't get me wrong. I was happy that my dad was going to get his happy ever after with his new wife but I just couldn't understand why they wouldn't just stay here. It was selfish of me, but I wanted them close by, always accessible. It was going to be difficult to know that my own father lived a four and a half hour flight away from me.

"We know who killed your mom."

"What?" I gasped, nearly breaking the glass on my side of the table.

"There are many things that you may not know about your mother, but she was heavily involved in the mafia." I snorted, of course I knew.

My dad raised an eyebrow, "What's that reaction for?"

"The Dawson women clearly like living a life of danger." I said and sipped my wine.

"You mean enjoy being involved in the mafia?" He asked.

My eyes widened as I looked at him.

"Arianna, I know what you have been doing. I am not stupid."

"What do you mean?" I asked, trying to play it cool.

"You have been pining over that guy Vinchenzo, the one who was with you in the hospital."

"How did you conclude that?"

"You are my daughter," He stated as he looked around the restaurant with a sigh, "I understand your facial expressions better than you think. I know you loved him."

"Dad, you aren't making any sense. It's a mission I had to go on."

"Arianna stop lying!"

"I don't understand. What are you on about? What has Vinchenzo got to do with my mother?"

"Vinchenzo is part of the mafia. Not only is he part of the mafia, he's also the leader of the biggest one!"

"You never had a problem with having an involvement with the mafia before!" I hissed.

"Your loving mother never bothered telling me! When she said something it was too late - she was killed the very next day!"

"What has mom's choices got anything to do with me?" I said, frustrated.

"She got involved in things she didn't understand. I just don't want you to end up like her. I want you to be safe and to marry a man who is on the right side of the law." He explained.

I sighed, "Dad, Vinchenzo and I had a falling out. There's no way in hell we're getting back together."

"I don't want you to pine over him."

"Dad, it's my first real heartbreak. I just need to learn how to deal with it." I said as I fiddled around with my fingers, "But what brought this on?"

"I don't want to say." He said and looked away.

"You have to tell her, honey." Claire said to my dad as she passed me a small smile.

"I'm afraid of what it will do to her."

"Don't be. Arianna is a strong girl, she can handle it." Claire affirmed.

My dad turned to me and took a deep breath in, "He asked for your hand in marriage."

"Who?" I asked.

"Vinchenzo Vitali. The man showed up to my house last week and wanted your hand in marriage. You can imagine the shock I felt."

"I'm confused..." I trailed.

"What is there to be confused about?" My dad asked me with a frown, "That man asked for your hand in marriage."

"Why would he? That's so weird." I countered as I sat back and sipped my wine.

"That's why I brought this up. I'm confused Arianna, you never mentioned dating him to us. You don't tell me anything."

"I have a question." I said as I ignored his previous statement.

"What is it?"

"Who killed mom? What has Vinchenzo got to do with this?" I asked.

"Well in exchange for your hand in marriage, he offered me some important information for your hand in marriage. He tried to blackmail me for my daughters hand in marriage!" My dad said furious.

"Did you get that information out of him?" I asked.

"No. He refused to give it to me."

"Well dad, as you know I'm not dating him therefore meaning I can't force him to give me that kind of information."

"I mean if you get back together with him, it'll assist your case with Lee."

"How do you know about that?"

"Good old Lee told me. He knows I'm your father."

"You can't tell anyone!" I said nervous.

"I'm aware. Lee swore me to secrecy too." He told me.

"Okay." I sighed, "So the only way to bring down Vinchenzo is to fake forgive him?"

"Yes." My dad said.

"No." I shook my head, "The last time I chose to do that, I ended up loving him and forgiving him for real."

"I know you can do it. That way I can ensure that justice is served for Kara." He said, determined.

"We'll have to find another way, dad. I can't do it." I said shaking my head.

"What about your mother? Do you not care about her?"

"Dad that's not fair... you can't do that." I stated shaking my head.

"We might not have another way. You're the key to unlocking the mystery to Kara's death."

"I care. You know I do but for the sake of my mental health, I can't do this for you." I said as I pushed my chair back, passsd a small tight lipped smile to Claire and hurriedly left the restaurant, unwilling to hear anymore.

My own father wanted me to go back into the clutches of a man he knew I was struggling to let go of. I understand that he had good intentions and wanted to gain vengeance for my mother but he needed to find another way to do so. I wasn't going to go through with it at the expense of my mental and emotional health. Besides there is no way of knowing that the information Vinchenzo will give to us is true, it could be fake. His own family could have killed her too, who is to say he'll speak the truth?

"Arianna wait!" My dad called, but I ingnored him and ran to my car beneath the pouring rain.

Hey Guys!

Here is another update! I hope you enjoy it and let me know how you find it!

Xoxo
Perla