Chapter 16 - Tapes

After several minutes of walking in the abandoned tunnel, the three of us made it out alive. I won't say safely because I had injured my foot and couldn't tell if it was a severe injury or not.

"Thank you," I said turning to Vinchenzo as I hobbled over to a wooden bench near the train station.

"For what?" He asked lifting an eyebrow.

"You know..." I trailed off and awkwardly gestured to where we had popped out of, "For carrying me the whole way. I am sure it was absolutely exhausting for you."

"I would do it all over again, exhausting or not. You know I would do anything for you." He said and from his tone, I knew he was being absolutely sincere.

I remained silent. I was unsure how I was supposed to respond to that. Luciano gave me an odd look before he nodded his head in Vinchenzo's direction. I didn't understand what he was trying to tell me – or perhaps I was just avoiding making amends.

"So what are we going to do about the tapes?" I asked, changing the topic in hopes to change the atmosphere. The tension was so thick that it could be sliced with a knife.

Vinchenzo sighed, "I will have them delivered to you secretly. You will turn them into the law enforcers and Stalias will get what he deserves."

"What about you?" I asked him.

He cocked his head to the side and gave me a sly grin, "What about me, Red?"

"Why should we hand Stalias in and pardon you for all your wrongdoings," I stated confidently.

"I am sure that you and I both can agree that there are worse people out there." He said.

"Why would you think that you are any better? You lure young kids in, you pull them to do your bidding with money."

"They come to me out of their own free will. I don't force anyone into it. If you want to join, I won't say no and if you don't want to be involved then I will not pressure you."

"Well, the more important question is once Stalias has been dealt with, who will be the next one?" Luciano interjected.

"Constanzo Domano." Vinchenzo and I both replied at the same time.

"Why?" Luciano asked, "I thought you were thinking about going after Vass."

"Domano has something that I want. He won't give it up until he is dead." I said as I pictured the key hanging from around his neck.

"Woah!" Luciano said looking at me confused, "I thought we agreed not to kill anyone. Jailing is the better option, makes them suffer longer." He carefully looked at Vinchenzo as though to gauge his reaction.

"Domano is our next target. I want the key. If it leaves him a prisoner here on earth or simply a new resident in the afterlife." I said and began limping towards the train station.

Luciano came with me, Vinchenzo however did not. He remained behind by the bench. When we entered the train station and Luciano was finding us the closest ride to get back home I watched Vinchenzo through the massive glass windows. He sat with his head in his hands and remained like that for a long time.

I was very curious to know what he was thinking about. I was worried about him, too. Worrying about him was not exactly planned, deep down I felt awful for putting such a terrible strain on my relationship with him but I had to think with my head and not my heart. 

If in some imaginary world Vinchenzio and I got together, got engaged, married, and had children, I knew for a fact that we would not live a comfortable life. Our lives would constantly be at risk, our kids would always be in danger from other families, and I would be scared that the law enforcers would find strong enough evidence to put Vinchenzo behind bars. It wasn't just me I had to think about, I had my future kids to consider. Their safety comes first.

Some may say that money can do wonders, especially when you have a lot of it. I agree that money can help you hire bodyguards and have nice, luxurious things but sadly money can't make the paranoia disappear, money can't make fear disappear and sure as hell money can't bring the dead back to life.

"What are you thinking of?" Luciano asked as we began walking towards the waiting train.

I sighed, "Lots of things."

"Like?" He pressed.

"The future that Vinchenzo and I have. If we have one, it will be very tragic." I told him as he helped me get onto the train.

"Sometimes you have to sacrifice a lot for true love."

"But what if we have kids, Luciano. I have to consider their safety."

"Maybe don't have any." He shrugged.

I looked away with a frown.

"Look, if you and Vinchenzo really love each other that much then you will have to compromise and so will he. Having kids is a choice you make together. Even if you're not married to a mafia leader, your kids could get kidnapped."

"But by being with Vinchenzo increases that chance tenfold."

"You will have to have this conversation with him, Ari. Maybe you are doubting him too much. Maybe he can protect you and the kids. You never know till you ask."

"Are you like pro-Vinchenzo?" I asked, "You always defend him."

"I see how much he loves you, Ari. Sometimes looking at things from a third-person perspective helps you to see so much more. Things that people in the relationship themselves don't see."

"What do you mean?" I asked, "Surely the people in the relationship would know more about what is going on."

"Yes, but lets take your relationship with Vinchenzo-"

"There isn't one!" I said cutting him off.

"Well see, I can see that you love him. I see the longing looks you get whenever his name is brought up. I see how you look at him with love painted all over your pupils. I saw how hurt you were when you thought he had betrayed you and how relieved you were once you found out that your eyes had deceived you. I see all these things. I know you love him and I know he loves you too. I see how he looks at you. You are just in denial about your feelings. Sort them out before someone swoops in and takes away your man."

Hey Guys!

I just wanted to apologize for being MIA for a while but I have been so busy with my degree, it's just crazy! The amount of work that you have to do compared to high school increases a lot! 

I promise to get all of the personal messages that you guys have sent soon but I wanted to make a small announcement up here. I have already broadcasted my message on my Instagram but will also say it here. I will be releasing updates for this book every FRIDAY and if for some reason I can't upload I will post a story on my Instagram with the date that the next chapter will be released! 

Anyways, I hope you liked the chapter. Let me know what you think of the book so far? 

Don't forget to vote if you liked it! See you next update.

XOXO

Perla