Chapter 15 - Too Close For Comfort

"Do you think he saw us?" Luciano whispered as the three of us remained crouched behind the wall caging the small rundown house.

"We will have to fight back." I whispered, "There is no way they won't come here and look."

Luciano nodded.

"No." Vinchenzo said, "We are barely armed. We don't stand a chance of surviving if we stay here and fight.

"Well then," I sighed with irritation, "What do you propose we do? Inigo's men won't just let us live if they do find and capture us."

"We have to get into the house. There is a secret tunnel underground that leads us behind a train station in the city centre. If we use it, then we escape them easily."

"What are we still doing here? Let's go."

"Are you sure this tunnel is still open?" Luciano questioned looking slightly hesitant.

"My men used it just last week. We will be fine." Vinchenzo assured as he began to slowly crawl towards the door of the building.

I was quite nervous. The door of the building was visible to anyone who was standing outside. I anxiously watched as Vinchenzo reached up and flicked the door open. He then slipped inside before he beckoned us to him.

"Slowly and carefully," I whispered to Luciano who nodded. We began our slow crawl towards the door.

"Hurry up!" Vinchenzo yelled.

From the look on his face, I knew that something was horribly wrong. At that moment I could not think sensibly and before I even knew it, I was up on my feet running as fast as I can towards the door with Luciano on my heel. Just as Vinchenzo slammed the door shut, three bullets hit the glass making it shatter. I winced and threw my hands over my ears as more bullets came flying towards the house.

"They spotted us." Luciano panted as he rested his hands on his knees. His face was red from all the running.

"It was inevitable," I responded still trying to catch my breath.

"Quick. They can't find out where the entrance is." He said as he led down a narrow corridor that seemed to have no end. It almost resembled the main Vitali compound, the one where Vinchenzo mostly resided in.

"Here." He whispered as he pushed a random cobblestone into the wall.

All of a sudden, a light whirring sound could be hurt as a section of the wall moved back and slid to the right. We all threw ourselves in and I watched as Vinchenzo touched the biometric scanner which allowed the door to shut us in.

"That was absolutely incredible!" Luciano exclaimed with a grin.

"Let's move." Vinchenzo said as he pulled out his phone, switched on the torch and began leading the way down the dark, dusty tunnel.

We walked for what seemed like forever but in reality, it was mere minutes. I could hear the echo of our steps as we all marched forward.

"Is it a long tunnel?" I asked.

Vinchenzo shook his head, "No. If we keep up this pace, we will reach the other opening within 15 minutes."

"That is quite long," I said before I tripped on a rock and fell.

"Damn it!" I hissed as I held my foot that was throbbing.

"Did you strain it? Are you okay?" Vinchenzo said as he rushed back to me, shining the torch in my face.

"I think I landed wrong." I said and hissed with pain when I tried to move it, "I think I just twisted it. Nothing too serious, I should be fine by tomorrow." I huffed.

"We cannot exactly stay here until tomorrow, if they find us in here we are dead for sure."

"How did they know we were even here?" I asked as Vinchenzo helped me up.

His green eyes darkened with immense anger, "I guess we have a disgusting traitorous bastard within our ranks."

"Did you catch the other one?" I said wincing as I tried stepping on my foot.

"He was dealt with. Looks like we have another one." He said shaking his head, "Some people are truly ungrateful."

"Ow!" I cried out as I took another step forward.

"I have to sit. You guys will have to go on. There is no way I can walk through the rest of the tunnel like this."

"I will carry you!" Luciano volunteered as he took a small step towards me, when he saw the expression on Vinchenzo's face he backtracked, "We can take turns. Vinchenzo and I."

"I will hold her. You hold the torch for us." Vinchenzo commanded.

"If you need a break, let me know." Luciano said as he began walking forward.

"That will not be necessary," Vinchenzo responded stiffly.

Luciano remained silent and carried on trudging me forward. Vinchenzo lifted me up with ease and cradled me against his muscular chest.

After a few moments, I sighed.

"What's the matter?" Vinchenzo asked.

"This just feels strange."

"What? The fact that I am carrying you down an abandoned tunnel?"

"No." I said, "Just the idea of being so close to you, but yes that too actually."

Vinchenzo sighed, "You have been holding me accountable for the actions of my brother. You are the one that created all this distance between us. You left me without an explanation. You left me when I had done you no wrong."

"I didn't know at the time! I thought it was you with her!" I protested with a frown.

"You saw silhouettes and the first person that came to mind was me? I would never be caught dead with that piece of scum." Vinchenzo stated with an unreadable expression.

"Callum said that you-"

"When will you understand that Vass doesn't have the best interests for you in his heart? He set all of this up. I truly wouldn't be surprised if Eliza was the one that orchestrated all of that." Vinchenzo stated as he cut me off.

"Who's to say that you have my best interests? All we seem to do is fight, argue, and then fight some more." I said looking away from his intense gaze.

"Well can't we fix what is broken between us?" He asked as he ducked to avoid getting hit by a protruding piece of rock.

"It will take a lot of time." I said trying to discourage him from pursuing me.

"Time..." He trailed off as he looked away from me, "I have that. In fact I have an abundance of it."

"I think a lot is broken." I said with a sigh as I fiddled with my hands.

"This seems to me like you don't want it work. You keep creating this distance. If you want things to work you actually have to try, Red."

"I don't want to get hurt!" I said meekly.

"I promised you that I would never hurt you. Not intentionally at least."

"But you have hurt me. Trust is like a piece of paper Vinchenzo, once it is crumpled it can't return to being perfectly smoothed out again. At least not as smooth as it was at the start."

"Look you are punishing me for something that my brother did. I don't have control over what Gianni does. The question is why you won't remove this grudge that you are holding now that you know the truth about what happened that night."

"No Vinchenzo," I said shaking my head, "The real question is, can I trust you?"

Hey Guys

I hope you enjoy this chapter! 

I just wanted to take the opportunity to wish you all a Happy Easter!

Don't forget to leave a vote and a comment letting me know how you are finding the books so far! Yay or nay?

XOXO

Perla