Chapter 31 - Thousands Of Feet Away

Sienna and I ran through the forest as fast as our legs could muster.

"I don't think I can keep running much longer!" Sienna called, out of breath.

"We have to get out of here!" I yelled back as I ducked beneath a tree's extended branch.

The direction we had chosen to run in was mostly uphill. The trees were rather dense and I was so scared that one of us would trip and get seriously injured because of this. I looked up at the sky and noticed that the sun had indeed faded away and darkness was looming in the near future.

"We need to find a tree to climb and rest," I said as I slowed down my pace and watched as Sienna caught up to me. Her face was red and shiny with sweat.

"Good idea." She nodded before we started a slow walk trying to find a tree that was easy to climb but had enough leaves to conceal us should they walk in this direction. 

"I think that's the best one." Sienna said as she pointed at a massive tree that was not too far from us.

"Can you climb well?" I asked, concerned for her.

She nodded, "I was a little monkey when I was younger." She told me as she lifted her foot and grabbed onto the nearest branch.

"You carry on climbing. I am going to make new footprints so that they don't find us." I said as I walked off and began to dig my shoes into the ground in the opposite direction of the tree we had chosen to sit and rest in. When I was satisfied, I took off my shoes and made sure to walk on the grass in order to avoid making any footsteps that took them in our direction.

I started climbing the tree as soon as I got to it. I found Sienna sitting on a thick branch at the highest point. I followed suit and soon I was next to her.

"How long have we been here?" She asked as she pulled a dry leaf out of her blonde hair.

I shrugged, "It honestly feels like a few weeks but it's probably a day or two at max." 

"Do you think they noticed that we are missing?" 

"I hope so," I said fiddling with my ruby ring.

We sat in silence for what seemed like hours. I noticed Sienna had begun to doze off and I made sure that I stayed awake so that I could keep watch in case they found us. I don't remember when, but during the night, I too fell asleep in the tree.

I woke up to the sound of rustling trees and found Sienna moving around.

"What are you doing?" I groggily asked.

"I was hoping these trees would have some fruit to eat or something. I am starving." She said as she rubbed her belly.

"We need to move further today," I said.

She sighed, "Maybe we will find some food, too." 

"I hope so too. I am hungry." I said and began climbing down.

Sienna and I walked further up and before we knew it the sound of barking dogs was heard. I slowly turned around and faced Diego, his gun drawn.

"I told you that you could run, but can't hide from me, redhead." He smirked as he walked toward me. The two massive dogs growled and bared their teeth at me. 

"If either of you moves, I will have these K9 units released. Trust me, you don't want to have their teeth sinking into you." Diego said as he huffed and made his way towards us both and attached metal handcuffs. Sienna only had one while I had five pairs.

"I like your nose," I said and he rolled his eyes before saying a few expletives, "The face job I did on you looks good. You can thank me, it was for free." I spat at him.

Diego didn't respond but instead attached us to chains and began dragging us back to a van that was parked not far. He shoved Sienna and me both into the back and then ordered the van to leave.

"I was just thinking how lucky we were to have gotten away."

"We would have," I sighed, "If they did not have a bunch of K9 units. It's not like we could have changed our smells."

Sienna didn't respond.

The trip back felt like it took hours. Only when the van stopped as they dragged us out we were not at the warehouse they had taken us to earlier, we were at the airport. 

"Remember, red head, there are K9 units onboard with us." 

I ignored Diego as he laughed in a sinister manner and looked at Sienna who looked scared for dear life. Diego ordered the men to take us into the airplane and lock us in the rooms on the private aircraft.

"Don't think you can escape when you are thousands of feet above land." A man laughed as he pushed us into the room and then proceeded to shut the door and lock it.

"At least it is comfortable in here," Sienna said as she marched to the mini fridge and grabbed a handful of candy, and began to stuff her face with them.

I wanted to eat but I had no appetite. I was so scared about what was going to happen next. Were they going to kill us? Were they going to torture us and then kill us? Were we to be used as a trading chip? I tried to calm myself because I didn't want Sienna to see me in a state of hysterics. She was pregnant, and I could not be stressing her out more than she already had stressed herself. 

"Here have this." Sienna grinned and handed me a chocolate chip cookie which I accepted, I took slow bites and watched as Sienna practically finished all of the Appletizer bottles.

"It's nice and cold!" She smiled as she put it against her skin.

"We could use some cooling," I said agreeing and grabbing a bottle and placing it against my forehead.

"Yes!" Sienna said and grabbed two bottles against her cheeks (on her face).

Hey Reddies!

I hope you liked this chapter! Let me know all of your thoughts in the comment section! If you did like this chapter, please consider leaving a vote :)

next update: 19 September 2022

Can you believe we are already 11 days into September? Oh my goodness, time does fly!

XOXO

Perla