Chapter 36 - Family Pictures

"The less you know, the better."

"But I want to help you!"

"If something should go wrong, I don't want you anywhere near the scene." I said as I pulled my hair into a messy bun and walked to the bathroom to splash cold water on my face.

"Don't get caught, Ari." Sienna whispered.

"I won't." I smiled and pushed the door open. The guard sitting outside jumped with fright and immediately reached for his gun.

"I need to go to my uncle's office." I said.

The guard looked confused, "Your uncle?"

"Yes. Did you hit your head or something? Take me to my uncle."

"I think you're insane." The guard said with a laugh, "Get back inside your room now."

"No take me now." I demanded, "Otherwise I will tell him how you have been drinking on the job."

"And I am sure he will believe you." His said in a sarcastic manner.

"I am sure he will believe his niece over some stupid guard."

The guard narrowed his eyes and then glanced at his wristwatch.

"I will ask my supervisor."

"Go and ask. Hurry it up though." I commanded as I watched the guard jog to a man walking down the corridor. They spoke in hushed whispers before the man in corridor looked up at me and then nodded his head.

"Come." The guard said before he called another guard to take his post near the room.

We walked down the passageway in silence and followed the long route that led us to Callum's office. I watched as the guard stopped and spoke to another one, who was stationed outside of Callum's office, in hushed whispers.

"Callum's not in his office." The guard finally spoke as he gave me a once over.

"I'll wait for him inside." I insisted but the guard shook his head.

"You aren't allowed inside. These are the orders which come from the boss himself."

"I'm his niece. He won't mind me being inside of his office." I told him, with an innocent smile, "I just want to wait for him."

"She's not a threat. I'll sit with her to monitor her actions. I need to see boss as well." Diego said as he stood beside me.

"What are you doing, Diego?" I whispered as we walked inside Callum's office and we both reclined on the couch near his bookshelf.

"We both need to see your uncle. I am his beta, and so he trusts me here and as for you, well I will watch you."

I cursed mentally. My plan had been ruined, I didn't realise how loyal Callum's guards were to him, but I believe that they, too, had vowed their undying and undisputed loyalty to him at one point or another. I don't know why I believed that Callum's compound would be different to Vinchenzo's one.

I sat in silence, and out of complete boredom, looked at the books Callum had on his shelf. They were an odd choice for someone who ran a mafia. A small section of the shelves was lined with classics such as the Great Gatsby and Jane Eyre.

I stood up and was randomly drawn to open the Great Gatsby. Perhaps it was because that book was the one my mother often read. She would quote random sentences and my sister, and I would be awed by how well she knew the story. If I recalled correctly, my mother used to read The Great Gatsby to us before our bedtime. She was obsessed with that book.

"What do you think you are doing?" Diego asked as he watched me walk to the bookshelf.

"Looking at some books during my wait," I said as I grabbed the book.

"Don't touch that!" Diego gasped as he threw himself off his chair and ran to try to snatch the book from me, but it was too late.

"Nothing," Diego said as he quickly snatched the box away from me, stuffed the photo's back, and shoved the book back on the shelf in its precise location.

"That is nnothing!" I protested as I tried to grab the book again, but Diego stopped me.

"It is best that you do not meddle with things you don't understand."

"Why does Callum have those pictures? And a lock of my hair?" I asked as Diego pushed me out of the office, "I have a right to know! That's my family! What are you hiding, Diego?" I yelled.

Diego looked around before he glared at me, "It's best you don't go digging in the past. Let the skeletons hidden in the closet lay in peace. That's my advice to you, Arianna."

"I don't want your advice, Diego!" I spat, "I just want the truth. That is all I ask. It really is not that difficult to just open your mouth and spill the answers. It is clear as day that you know something, just tell me. I deserve to know." I said, almost in a pleading tone.

I had suspicions but I did not want to overthink the situation. My mind was whirling with accusations, but I didn't want to voice them. I didn't want to think of them. They were outrageous.

"I am warning you. Don't go searching for answers. They will only disappoint you. Heed my warning."

"Are you out of your mind?" I hissed, "I will go digging and I will find out the truth, even if it kills me."

"This one will," Diego said before slamming the door shut in my face.

Hey Reddies!

I do hope that you liked this chapter! If you did make sure to vote and leave your thoughts in the comment section.

What accusations do you think Arianna has against Callum and Diego?

See you next update!

XOXO
Perla

P.S. you can expect the next update to be between 30 – 31 October