Chapter 34 - Expect the Unexpected

If I had to tell you that I was shocked, it would be an understatement. A big one at that. He was the very last person I expected to see standing in front of me.

"How are you enjoying Scotland?" He asked before he cocked his head to the side and looked at me rather confused, "Are you alright?"

"Did you just call me your niece?" I asked, unable to formulate my thoughts into words.

Callum Vass smiled, "Yes, that's because you are."

"What are you saying? I didn't even know before we met at the Domano party." I said recalling the events and mentally confirming that I was right. I had never heard of or seen this man before that day in my life.

"I knew you despite having been cut off by my sister." 

"Sister? My mom... was your sister?" I gasped.

"Kara was indeed." He said as he looked at Sienna and then back at me, "I see you guys have been set free. I will need to rectify that."

"If you are really my uncle, Callum then you would not lock us up. You would protect us from being locked up." Callum looked at me and then laughed.

"Sweet, innocent Arianna. Who do you think brought you here?" He asked me, "Let me answer that for you. It was me and I do not intend on setting you free until I get what I want."

"You're not my uncle." I spat out, "Family would not do something like this to each other. What you are doing is cruel and just... insane!" I yelled and that caused my voice to echo down the corridor. 

Sienna glared at me but I ignored her. I was incredibly mad that Callum had insinuated that he was siblings with my mother. That was a dirty trick to play. He looked nothing like her, it was only the blue eyes they both had that could possibly vouch for him.

"I am not here to make you believe.  I am here to keep you hostage so that Vitali can give me what I want. Other than that, I don't particularly care for you. Your mother, and my sister, made her decisions and now it is time for me to make mine."

"Do you have pictures?" I asked and when he nodded his head I was shocked.

"Photoshop?"

"I don't think they had that back in the 1900s." He laughed.

"Show me them." I demanded, ignoring his comment.

He looked at me for a few seconds before sighing, "Follow me. They are in my office."

Callum began walking whilst Sienna and I followed him. He walked into a massive room with glass everywhere. His office overlooked a lot of beautiful green hills and trees. Callum told us to sit on his black plush couch and wait for him whilst he brought out the pictures to show me as per my request.

I watched as Callum walked over to a massive bookcase and pulled out a massive book that was covered in brown leather. He undid the latch and handed it to me gently. The book was heavy as I flipped to the first page and right he was, underneath a picture of two babies was a description that read Kara and Callum's First Day at Nursery School, more images filled the book and as the book progressed following their ages I noticed that the woman really was my mom. The resemblance between them was too good for me to make a comment about an impostor.

"My mom was born into a mafia?" I whispered as I looked at the family pictures of people I never got a chance to meet.

Callum nodded, "Kara was a mafia princess and the pride and joy of my father. She was supposed to bring unity between us and the Domano family but instead, she eloped with an American." He said with disgust.

"That is my father," I said but he just shrugged.

"She turned her back on us and cut the connection with us. Father was enraged and took it all out on me, he made me grow and mature faster than I needed to. Mother would beg him to be considerate but he chose to become even more violent with me. He made me fix the mess that Kara had made and when I did he finally relented with his torturous ways and since then I have helped him be the head of the family."

"Why didn't you ever visit?"

"Father would have killed me. He chose to disown Kara after what she had done to our family. I wanted to visit her and know how she was doing but alas fear got the best of me." He said, "And now it is too late."

I remained quiet as I watched him look at the images that I held before he snapped his head back and cleared all of the emotion he was harboring in his eyes.

"She would have protected you, you know," I said.

Callum shook his head, "You can't protect someone without a weapon, Arianna. Your mom had nothing to protect herself with, let alone protect me." I knew he was referring to when my mother was murdered in cold blood, and I winced at the thought. I hated thinking about that moment in my life.

"You were her brother, she would have gladly given her life up for you without a second thought. It is just the kind of woman my mom was." I explained and Callum sighed.

"You must return to your room now." 

I shook my head, "Free us. I'll make Vinchenzo give you what you want. I can promise you that."

Callum shook his head, "Absolutely not. He is lucky that you are my niece and I am giving you the best treatment any hostage could possibly receive."

"Why? What did Vinchenzo do?" I asked, demanding to know the answers.

"That is a conversation for another day."

"Tell me! I have a right to know why my friend and I are being held here against our will!" 

Callum didn't say another word as I watched him grab the album and push it back into the shelf, where he had previously retrieved it from. The last thing I had ever expected to hear in my lifetime, was that my mother was a mafia princess who rebelled against her father and married an FBI agent, and made sure to stay off the grid. The last thing I expected was to be kidnapped by my mother's brother who is apparently the head of the mafia now. 

I guess we all have to start expecting the unexpected.

Hey Reddies!

I hope you guys loved this chapter! If you did, consider leaving a vote and comment letting me know what you think! I would love to hear all of your opinions!

P.s. next update: 10 October 2022

XOXO

Perla