Chapter 14 - Sweet Mercy

"Ezekiel." Luciano said with a sigh, "The man who is in cahoots with Iñigo. Just the man we needed."

"What?" Ezekiel asked looking taken aback.

"Don't lie," Luciano said.

"Lie about what?"

"We know that you're affiliated with the mafia." Luciano said and as I gave him a stray look, "We found conclusive evidence against you and you have now fallen into the trap that we set out for you."

"What are you doing?" I mouthed to Luciano who ignored me and carried on with his crazy theatrics.

"But how...?" Ezekiel asked. He looked as pale as a ghost as he scanned the room as though he was looking for a way to escape. This behaviour immediately made me feel uncomfortable and suspicious of him.

"We know what you did." I said, deciding to join in.

Looking at the way that Ezekiel was reacting to Luciano's false accusation made me wonder if they were truly false at all.

"No! I didn't do anything!" He hissed looking heavily distressed as large beads of sweat began to trickle down his face.

"Arrest him." I said to Luciano, "We'll take him in for interrogation."

As soon as Luciano cuffed Ezekiel who put up no fight, I walked upto him.

"What exactly are you doing?" I whispered to him.

Luciano looked grim, "I was trying to get out of what he heard me saying. I didn't think there was any truth to what I was saying but when he reacted the way he did I realised something was up with him."

"I, too, am suspicious of him. His behaviour was odd. He didn't put up much of a fight."

"I think there's more to him than we think." He whispered before he pushed Ezekiel into the back of the white van and locked the doors.

"Are we really going to do this?"

"What if he really is in cahoots with Lee or even Iñigo?"

"Remember the day when we were discussing how we were going to infiltrate the Stalias base? He seemed heavily attentive. Maybe he can help shove Iñigo behind bars or even reveal Lee's dirty secret."

"You're condemning Lee and Ezekiel based on nothing but suspicion." I said to him as he started the van and reversed out of the parking bay.

"Don't tell me you didn't see it too. You agreed with me that Lee could be responsible for us being uncovered in the Stalias base."

"Luciano, there is no hard evidence! You're just tossing around accusations without having anything to prove or back up what the hell you're saying!" I hissed.

"You'll come to realise how observant I am." Luciano gruffly stated.

"Well until then, you can't go around claiming things. People will jail you."

Luciano didn't respond. He carried on driving to some unknown location that I didn't bother inquiring about. We still had Ezekiel locked in the van.

"We're here!" Luciano exclaimed as he got out of the van.

"Where?" I said confused, "Where is here?" I asked as I followed him out of the van and stood facing him.

"Vinchenzo!" Luciano exclaimed as he waved.

I whipped to look around and sure enough Vinchenzo Vitali stood behind me, a large smirk plastered on his flawless face.

"Red, Luciano." He greeted, "I have had my men bring all the things we will need."

"The cctv footage?"

"We infiltrated his main base." Vinchenzo shrugged.

"How?" I asked gaping at him.

Vinchenzo didn't reply and instead chose to walk. Luciano hurried after him and I decided to follow suit.

"How can we trust you?" I yelled at Vinchenzo, "How can we trust that you aren't leading us to a trap?"

Vinchenzo turned around and smirked, "You are tagging along willingly. I didn't drag you here now did I?"

I rolled my eyes at him and huffed as I carried on walking. Vinchenzo, unfortunately, sported a glorious smug face that made me want to punch him. I was enraged with Luciano, he seemed to just be doing whatever he wanted without bothering to consult me about it. I never wanted the Vitali mafia involved at all, I wanted to prove to Vinchenzo that I could take out his rival alone but Luciano just had to involve him!

"We're almost there," Vinchenzo stated.

I looked up and found a small discrete building that looked as though it has been discarded. The white paint was peeling off and the gates were an orange-brown colour due to the rust.

"It is so shabby!" I protested.

I did not normally complain about things like this. The place was so rundown that I believed that it was an external torture chamber that belonged to the Vitali family. An external chamber where he tortured people of either higher or lower class. Or maybe the people he claimed to love.

Either way, a terrible gut feeling was telling me to run and get as far away from the situation as possible but I could not. I could not just leave Luciano here alone with him.

"I never knew you were so damn needy," Vinchenzo grumbled.

"This mission has to be inconspicuous. We can't have people seeing us here." Luciano said.

I sighed, "I have a bad gut feeling about this."

Vinchenzo halted in front of the rusty iron gate. He pulled out a key, unlocked it and then allowed us in. As I was past the gate he immediately grabbed my arm and pulled me to him.

"When have I ever allowed someone to hurt you?" He asked me as I gulped at how close he was to me. I could feel his warm breath fan over my face and smelt the smell of his signature cologne that I had been craving.

The moment was bittersweet. I had wanted to be this close to him for months but at the same time, I had to acknowledge that things between us were damaged. I was working hard on making myself believe that the damage was irreversible. I was in an impossible situation, one I had manoeuvred myself into.

"I would never allow anyone to lay a hand on you, Red. I solemnly swear that." Vinchenzo vowed.

"Actually you have failed to protect me several times. I fell into the hands of Stalias, he scarred my arms and tortured me. You didn't save me -"

"You left. You handed yourself willingly to him." Vinchenzo interrupted immediately.

"Move!" Luciano screamed as a loud booming sound echoed just outside the iron gate.

"We are so screwed," I whispered loudly as I watched him march towards us, guns blazing.

Hey Guys!

I know I haven't updated in a while and I am truly sorry for that. I have been busy with university and with the tons of work and exhaustion that comes from that.

I hope you enjoy this chapter and make sure you that you leave a comment and vote!

See you next update!

XOXO

Perla