Chapter 43 - Neglected History

"Let her in." I said and the guard looked at me shocked before he hesitantly complied. I guess that is the perks of being the Don's girlfriend.

I studied the woman whilst she was getting scanned for her weapons. She was holding the hand of a little boy whose age I estimated to be around five. The woman was tall and slender with long blonde hair that reached her waist. She brown eyes, which was the exact same colour her son had. The little boy had curly light brown hair and the most adorable smile on this planet. I gave the guard a sharp nod and beckoned her to follow me.

"I am sorry to drop by unannounced by Hayden has been demanding to know who his father is." The woman said with an apologetic smile.

"No, it's fine. I understand." I said trying to smile at her, but it came out as a grimace instead.

Just when I thought things were getting better, she had to come out of nowhere with her kid and ruin my day. It's not her fault, Vinchenzo should have told you I thought as I mentally chastised myself. I then glanced at the child again trying to find some resemblance, but I honestly didn't see it.

I led her towards Vinchenzo's office.

"What is your name?" I asked her as soon as we were in front of his door.

"Claudia Serpico. My son's name is Hayden." She said with a gleeful smile.

She clearly didn't suspect me to be the possible future step mom of her son.

"Please wait here." I told her with a small, very forced, smile. I slammed the door open and shut it behind me.

"Aren't you going to knock?" Vinchenzo asked as he carried on scribbling on some documents.

"No." I said.

"Oh, audacity must be on sale this year for Christmas." He said with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes, "I should be the one saying that to you."

"How come?"

"Claudia. Claudia Serpico." I stated dryly.

Vinchenzo raised an eyebrow, "What?"

"More like a who. Doesn't it ring a bell?"

Vinchenzo thought for a moment before he vividly shook his head.

"No, it doesn't. Why?"

"Well, she's here with her son, and she is claiming that you are the father."

"Excuse me?" He said as he choked on the sip of whiskey he had taken earlier.

"You heard me."

"I think you must have said the wrong words out loud."

I shook my head and put my hands on my hips, "I did not. They are right outside your door this very moment."

Vinchenzo seemed very amused by the whole situation and that kind of bothered me. My heart was shattering by the second as I thought about Claudia and her son Hayden.

"I don't have a child, Red."

"Clearly not one you know about." I said rolling my eyes.

I wanted to believe him. I really did but I was scared to put my faith in him and then as fate would have it the child would indeed turn out to be his. It wasn't my intention to be an awful person to the child and of course it wasn't his fault if his father didn't inform me about him, or even know about him himself but I couldn't shake of this feeling of sadness that hung over me.

I thought life was getting better. I mean I had just been saved from the Vass lair only to be lured into another bunch of drama.

"Send them in. Let's see this supposed child of mine." He said and looked away.

I backed away from his desk and stomped to the door. I pulled it open and found Claudia hugging her child. She seemed rather afraid but I didn't know why.

"You can come in." I said stepping out of the way.

They both timidly walked in and stood in the centre of the office looking around. I shut the door and decided to sit on one of the bar stools.

"Strawberry daiquiri, please." I whispered to the bar man who nodded his head and then started creating my drink.

"Claudia, sei tu?" Vinchenzo gasped as he faced the woman.

[Is that you?]

"Si." Claudia said nodding her head timidly.

"Siediti. Cosa le stai facendo dopo tutti questi anni?"

[Sit down. What are you doing her after all these years?]

"Cerco Sergio. È ora che si assuma la responsabilità di suo figlio." She said seeming to be angry.

[I am looking for Sergio. It is time he takes responsibility for his child.]

The first though that came to my mind was that Vinchenzo was denying this child. No matter how much it affected me, if the child was his he should own up and take responsibility for him and his past decisions. I hated that I could not understand a single word they were saying, and I seriously needed to resume my Italian lessons as soon as possible.

I watched the exchange whilst sipping my strawberry daiquiri, hoping that it would soon be over, and my raging emotions would decrease in intensity. This was not how I imagined the first day back at the compound to be.

"Dov'è allora?" Claudia hissed.

[Where is he then?]

Vinchenzo took a large gulp of whiskey before he stood up and looked at the child.

"Sergio ha aiutato il padre in Italia. Non gli parlo da anni, Claudia." He said, "

[Sergio has been helping father in Italy. I haven't spoken to him in years, Claudia.]

Claudia sighed before she sat back and shot me a small smile. As I studied her, she seemed weak and frail. I was curious as to how she knew Vinchenzo and how she was involved with the Vitali family. Was she his first love? Was she his first kiss? His first-time everything? I desperately wanted to know but I didn't want to cause a scene. I wanted to present a united front in front of her. I didn't want her to see that she was causing our relationship to become delicate by the minute.

"Si." Claudia said.

"Hayden gli somiglia molto." Vinchenzo said before adding, "It is truly remarkable."

"What's remarkable?" I said happy to finally be able to understand something.

"The resemblance. It is almost uncanny. It is as though we have travelled back in time." He whispered.

"What are you talking about?" I asked in despair.

The child looked nothing like Vinchenzo!

"Don't worry, Red." He said.

"To hell with it!" I yelled and stormed out of his office. I wasn't going to sit in there like a fool.

Hey Reddies!

Arianna is a big overthinker, do you believe she has the right to overthink the situation or should she wait until she has all the facts? Are you an overthinker? I certainly can be one lol.

If you liked this chapter consider giving it a vote and make sure to leave all your thoughts in the comment section! I will respond to them all :)

XOXO
Perla

P.S. next update: 20 November 2022