Chapter 39 - Hard Decisions

Betrayal wasn't something that I thought I would ever actually go through, at least not when it came to family. Especially ones that I had blood ties with. However, did Callum really count as family? I only knew we were related for a few weeks, and I have no personal connection with him. My mother had cut him out of her life many years ago and he not only held me hostage but also treated me like I was worthless. If I was worthless to him, why couldn't he be worthless to me too?

I sat in the cell thinking about Diego's offer. I mean he seemed more concerned about me than my very own uncle and he did offer me a very tempting deal. I remained seated on the bed as I fiddled with my hair, twisting and turning the strands as I thought further about the whole deal. I was startled when I heard the rustling of feet and then a small knock on the cell door.

"Arianna, can we talk?" Diego called.

"Yes!" I answered as I pushed my hair off my shoulders and crossed my legs on the bed.

"I thought about your last demand." Diego started, "I know I was hesitant when it came to making a good decision and I have finally decided on my answer. I know you must have been waiting for me to let you know what it is?" He said as he sat on the little table in the corner of the barely lit cell.

"What is it?" I asked.

I was scared to hear his response. I didn't want him to reject my deal but at the same time, I wanted him to so that I could be truthful when saying I tried all I could to get out of Callum's vicious grasp. I wanted him to make the hard decision of condemning my uncle to death for me. I didn't want his blood to be on my hands. I wanted to be free of this. I didn't want to burden my conscious with any of this bloodshed that was to occur.

"I agree to your terms. The Vass family dies with me. I will bear no heir." He responded solemnly as he clenched his fist.

I nodded, "You are really going to go through with this?"

Diego eagerly nodded his head with a crooked smile, "Of course. Are you getting cold feet?"

"I don't know if my subconscious could handle all the guilt this would bring. I am literally condemning one of the only blood-related family members I have." I confessed as I looked away from Diego.

"Look what he did to you and your friend! All that happened to you both was on orders from him... the man you call your uncle. If he truly cared about you, he would not do all of this to you. He would respect you and not kidnap you and hold you, hostage, for months. Or even lock you in this cell like an animal. Why are you treating him like family when he is treating you like the dirt he walks on?"

I nodded my head. I recognized that he was trying to poison Callum in my mind, but I couldn't deny that all he had said was true. It wasn't an exaggeration.

"I guess I don't want to be like him. I don't want to stoop to his level, Diego."

"You are not," Diego assured me, "You won't do anything but name me as the rightful leader, and then you will be on your merry way with your blonde friend."

"Fine."

"Does that mean I must go through with our plan?"

"Your plan, you mean? And yes, go through with it."

"Give me your word."

"I promise that I will name you as the rightful leader of the Vass family when it is necessary," I said and Diego nodded before he held his hand out to me.

"Pleasure doing business with you. I will inform you of all that happens from here on."

"Could you at least get me out of here?"

"That's up to the Don himself. The beta only has so much power you know." Diego said.

"Try!" I begged, "This place is triggering my claustrophobia and I don't even suffer from it!" I said with a shiver.

"I will see what I can do." He said before he walked out of my cell and closed the door behind him, leaving me trapped inside with nothing but my thoughts who were out to haunt me.

I sat wondering if I had done the right thing. Callum was cruel. He deserved to die for what he had done but who was I to be the judge of that? I mean I wasn't a saint myself and although the things I have done in my past aren't as questionable as those of Callum, why should I be the one to decide that he doesn't deserve a second chance? Everyone deserved a second chance.

I lay in bed shivering from the cold with all the conversations from the day Callum and I met to the present day replayed in my head. I didn't recognize the resemblance he had shared with my mother. It wasn't an obvious connection.

Three days had gone by without hearing a single word from Diego. My guts were a tangled mess. I could not even stomach eating the rubbish the guards brought for me and every single cold night I spent it wondering whether Callum was dead. And then it happened.

The door to my cell creaked open and I could make out a masculine figure who was standing in the door frame.

"Come with me!" A familiar voice whispered as I shakily stood up and tried to make my way to the door.

"Diego?" I whispered, "Is he dead?" I asked.

"I am not Diego." The man said as he ushered me down the long, dark, and narrow passageway.

"Who are you then?" I asked as we stumbled into the light, and I saw a man wearing a mask with small holes cut out by the eye areas.

"Vinchenzo?" I whispered as happiness flooded my body instantly.

"Ciao Red." He whispered, "How'd you know?"

"I would know your beautiful green eyes anywhere," I whispered.

Hey Reddies!

I hope you liked this chapter! I wrote it and I was so excited to share it with you guys! I kind of missed Vinchenzo!

Don't worry, I will still update on Sunday ;)

Please leave your thoughts in the comment section and consider giving this chapter a vote!

XOXO
Perla

P.S next update will be on 13 November 2022