[Chapter 45 part 1] Soul - Heaven Splitter

Inside was an ordinary cavern ending in a stone doorway flanked by torches. We got here safely. While the others studied petrified remains, Soul had been watching the Blue Abyss creep nearer. A hundred and fifty feet is too close.

"Alright, everyone stop." Shine declared. "Have any of you been in a dungeon?"

"Nope." Soul answered. "We'll be counting on you."

Shine took a breath, "That's what I suspected... There's a mountain of things you should be familiar with, but it's ok. We'll manage." Is she trying to convince us or herself?

"To begin, our pacing needs to change." Shine focused. "Rushing is how you die."

"Lost World is divided into five floors ——that's slang for areas of difficulty. The layout of each is roughly the same: two caves systems leading to a gigantic game reserve. Somewhere in the reserve is a sunken arena with a 'boss' and the passage to the next floor. Lost World doesn't have Warp points, so we're traversing everything on foot."

"Where's our goal?" Soul asked.

"The fourth game reserve." Shine answered quietly. Soul did the math. Eight cave systems, four game reserves, and three bosses.

Shine motioned the doorway, "This floor's cave systems are a quarter mile long and poorly lit. Part one is filled with armored bats, the second with Hyaenadons. Questions?"

"What's our strategy?" Rose asked.

"We proceed carefully clearing each section." Shine stated. "Assuming everyone is A rank, nothing here should prove a threat."

"Tell us about the bats." Light asked.

"Their front and underbelly are well defended." Shine explained. "Their backs are their weak spot."

"Alright, leave them to me." Light drew a white-handled silver ninjato and raced into the darkness.

"Wait! I haven't finished——" Shine objected, horrified.

"It's fine." Wise placed a hand on her shoulder. "He knows what he's doing. This is a chance to test his weapons."

"Are we really letting him go this alone?" Shine asked at the sound of screeching. "Without lighting?"

"This brings up an important point from our side." Rose said seriously. "Always listen to Wise. Directions from him take precedent over everything else. He's Nero Ebonwood's clone."

Calming, Shine examined Wise, "So his foresight must be better than Jeane's..."

"Much stronger," Free agree. "He inherited his original's gift to an abnormal extent."

Their surroundings fell silent, and Light reappeared, "The room is clear. I'm moving on."

"When you reach another door with torches, don't go further!" Shine yelled quickly. Light nodded and vanished.

"I'm glad I'm being listened to so attentively." Shine grumbled sarcastically. "Let's follow."

Fairy light revealed a carnage. Winged corpses lay everywhere, each stabbed from behind. Far off, they heard the massacre continuing. He must be having fun. Free knelt by one and observed fascinated as it disintegrated, "Do they all disappear?"

"Mostly yes." Shine answered. "Creatures in dungeons are basically summons. However, if you're lucky, sometimes 'spoils' remain. It can be a weapon or piece of armor. Other times it's gold or jewelry. In Lost World, they're leftover body parts: horns, claws, teeth... It varies. For armored bats, there's a chance for scaled leather."