[Chapter 15 part 2] Wise - Warping to the Isle of Dreams

...

"Next is your hair." Astra continued. "Everyone except Light needs to pick a new color. There are mirrors in the bag. Stick to the ordinary."

"Why am I an exception?" Light asked.

"Because Barsal shaves his head." Astra answered.

Taking a mirror, Wise drew in necromantic magic and slowly discarded the concept of death. He then willed the leftover power towards his scalp, and his black hair turned blond. This was ordinary magic, something anyone could learn. Once 'stripped' of affinity, it's far weaker, but can do anything.

Rose chose ash blond. Hope picked black. Silver grey. Soul brown. Then there are the other three... Dawn was a redhead. Light's dreadlocks were white. Neglecting these two, Astra addressed Free, who sported bright green, "What did I say?"

"This is perfectly acceptable for a plant-using ninja." Free responded.

"Right..." Astra decided not to press the issue. Instead, she raised her arm, and they watched it darkened to a light tan. "Match this as best you can."

Everyone did as requested. Thanks to a certain prank, they'd all mastered this skill. Rose acting serious while neon pink was hilarious.

Astra nodded, "Even before the Fracturing, it's been customary to match your tone to your geographic location. The only ones who ignore this are visitors, foreign dignitaries, immortals, and occasionally those with compelling personal motives. In a major tourist destination like the Isle of Dreams, it's especially important because out-of-towners are always the target of swindlers..."

Astra stiffened, "My God... You've no idea what scams are, do you...?" She muttered.

Rose objected, "Yes, we do! There were some examples in your library."

Astra appeared unconvinced. With trepidation, she brought out small pouches. "This is 'Gold'," She said, jingling them. "Enough to live comfortably for months." She dropped them on the table. "There's one for each of you. Try not to waste it."

Pocketing his share, Wise noticed his mother had returned to her usual pale white. Astra glanced at her arm and shrugged, "I can't change it. Or at least, not for any length of time. The HEAVENLY DAO doesn't want its chosen altering who they are. That's why Lily is trapped in a twelve year old's body. The only exception are those few who reach the wall while concealing their features, like the shapeshifters of Noaran."

"Anyway," Astra faced Light. "Most structures aren't as solid as my fortress. I don't want to hear you crashed into someone's bedroom."

"I don't think something so uncool could happen to a ninja." Light protested.

"The HEAVENLY DAO also doesn't save fools from themselves." Astra countered tersely. "If the roof looks weak, you'll fall right through."

Their mother turned to Free, "I'm repeating for emphasis: only plants. If news gets out that Sola's double is creating deformed monstrosities... Understand?"

"Completely," Free nodded. "except for the 'deformed monstrosities'."

"That's everything." Astra had finished her mental checklist. "For today, there's only one item on the agenda. You'll compete at the Stone Coliseum this evening. Simon will handle the registrations." Where is he anyway? ... He's at the warping station.

"No need to stress. It'll take half a dozen matches before you're paired with someone your level."

"Other than than, try to to settle in. You'll visit the Guild tomorrow, once the chaos of my arrival has subsided. For touring the Isle, I'll leave that to you and Lily. Keep a low profile and stay out of trouble. Any questions?" There were none.