[Chapter 9 part 2] Hope - Sola's Legacy

...

Hope struggled to tamper bubbling expectations. She was the one who'd benefit most from this journey. Theoretically, that is. She had the bad habit of getting her hopes up. I should know better. Cynicism had served her well over the years. It was a trusted friend. Whatever Astra is set to reveal, it won't be good. She was sure of it.

Rounding the main dome, they passed her workshop, a repurposed recreation room whose furniture was stuffed with pebbles. Packing will be a nightmare. She slipped in and dumped her leftover ammunition. There's so much thanks to Wise. She wasn't grateful.

It's easier to move now, Hope reflected sadly while catching up. Even Wise could lift twice his weight. I need a martial art, dang it.

"We'll be heading outside the fortress. Prepare appropriately." Astra said.

Awww, damn. It was exceptionally cold out there. Hope grabbed her outer layers from the nearby closet. On the top shelf, small cloth pouches were piled up. The tiny stones within would emit heat for hours once activated. No point in saving them. She filled her pockets while Wise waited patiently. If he had ill intent, he'd be so hateable. She tossed him a dozen. While irritating, he was fellow victim who'd be confined without her aid. I'd feel horrible if he missed something important.

Back outside, an airship hovered just off the ground, fifty feet long and seventeen wide. Floodlights lining the hull brightly illuminated the fortress.

"It's six hundred years old but still top of the line." Astra said.

"It's... radiant." Rose mumbled.

"Deep in the Fractured Earth, there's only darkness." Astra answered. "Seeing helps for piloting."

It had the shape of boats she'd seen in books. It'd float on liquids if it obeyed the laws of gravity. There were still some fresh-water bodies where man sailed.

"This is Aery-made..." Simon commented.

Astra breathed deeply, "yes."

Noting blank expressions, Simon explained, "Maximum height and rising speed depends on the materials employed. Construction at higher elevations is always better. Since Aery controls the uppermost portions of Enera, they have a monopoly over high-altitude crafts. What grade is this one?"

"Third grade." Astra said.

Simon whistled softly, "Same as Aery's military. Guess it should be expected."

"I wish you wouldn't raise unnecessary topics." Astra said coldly.

Simon looked back blankly, "They don't know?"

Everyone stood still. I've no clue what's going on. Finally, Astra sighed, "I'm technically the heir to Aery's throne, but it's a story for another time."

More secrets, Rose won't be happy. Hope contemplated what this made her mother. Is she a queen or princess or neither? She wanted to asked, but didn't think it smart. The subject seems touchy.

Astra approach the hull, "To open it, channel into this blue circle." A section slid away to reveal a well-lit open space. Only the front and back were closed off, and there were stairs leading up. Same as outside, the surfaces were an ivory resin, but Hope sensed metal underneath.

"I've mainly use this for supply runs, hence the large cargo bay." Astra walked over and pulled grey bags from a storage below the stairs. "These might be plain, but they carry heavy loads. Use them to pack."