[Chapter 15 part 1] Wise - Warping to the Isle of Dreams

Gathered under the skulls, the excitement was palatable. For once, everyone was on the same page as Silver. Except for Dawn. Must be Nero's warning.

Wise felt more in control than he had in years, his new headband offering a thick layer of protection. What's more, the information let through was crisper. It's marvelous.

Wise glanced fondly at the book in his lap. The Necronomicon. That was the name Light had suggested discovering the tome had no title. He'd loved it. It's an appropriate combination of 'necro-' and 'lexicon'. Nero's artifact protected against the corruption of death's magic. The subtle graininess was gone when he peered into the future. So refreshing.

Emboldened, he'd finally used the projector last night, and there'd been no headaches after a lengthy session. I no longer dread the Isle.

He recalled the unsual dialogue yesterday with Nero Ebonwood. The others would be shocked how much was said.

... ... ...

What's going on? Wise thought confused.

<Nero> we're having a wordless conversation. Just keep making inquiries and it'll happen naturally.

Wise eyes widened. A silent exchange? Light would be jealous.

<Nero> Yes. Remember to fully explore each topic. The amount I can provide per query is about a paragraph. Now, I've something for you.

Nero pulled out a thin bronze band. What's that?

<Nero> I made this in preparation for your departure. Your old one was fine for the isolation of Earth's End but not the Isle of Dreams. Stay still.

Nero touched his forehead, and the weight grew lighter. Surprised, Wise reached up. How'd you do that?

<Nero> At the peak of necromancy, you can play around with space and time. How does it feel? Things should've improved.

They had. Nero's reply was clearer. My original is amazing. He ran his fingers over the metal. So, what now?

<Nero> Don't you wish to ask anything?

Yes, of course. His mind raced frantically. How do you deal with your ability without a headband?

<Nero> I spent a hundred and fifty years honing my foresight. You were simply born with it. That's the difference between learning to swim in shallow water and being thrown in the ocean with weights on your legs. You never had chance.

Wise agreed it hadn't been entirely fair. So how do I become like you?

<Nero> First there's something you must know. What happened when you were nine wasn't simply because of your advanced foresight. You possess a special ability. Sure, other necromancers can delve the future for answers, but it takes a conscious effort. The way knowledge effortlessly flows into your head, that's a phenomenon unique to you... and me.

Wise frowned. What do you mean?

<Nero> You have a copy of my Sublime Vagary... which I now realized you are unfamiliar with. That's troubling... A quick review is required. First ask about 'immortalization and myth'. Next ask about 'Sublime Vagaries'. Finally try this query again.

Sublime Vagaries... They were something certain immortals possessed. Tell me about 'immortalization and myth'?

<Nero> Immortalization is the process of stepping into the Ether and becoming part-myth. Entering that raw conceptual space has side effects, including the potential to develop Sublime Vagaries.